Auqa Gadget Hydrofill or Osmolator Nano?

willthethrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is for a Nuvo Fusion 10. Price is not an option, I need the most reliable ATO that will NOT overflow. I have the bigger Osmolator in my main system and I love the backup float sensor that cuts off the power to the pump if it ever overfills. (Which has saved me a few times).Hard enough convincing the wife to get a second tank. This one will be in the kitchen, and there isn't much room for any ato mishaps since this tank is teeny and it'll overfill fast.

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can only speak on the osmolator nano, and I can say it's never had any issue and has been running non stop for over a year (knock on wood).
However, I think any ATO has the capability to overflow your tank unless you have a good fail safe, i.e. Multiple float switches or if you can program a max time that your ATO pump runs before it automatically shuts off. I think I read somewhere back when I was deliberating, the hydrofill can cause stray current in your tank. And with sensors like that I wouldn't be surprised if buildup on the tips would eventually make it hard for it to tell if it's in water or not. I will say it's possible for the same thing to happen with the osmolator, but I've never cleaned mine and somehow it's still clear of gunk and buildup.

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only real failsafe is a reservoir small enough that it only holds enough water to fill the tank, but not enough to overflow it.

I agree. I use a cereal container from Walmart that only holds a gallon or two. I have to refill it every couple of days but I sleep well.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with Reefer Madness, I only know the osmolator but it's good and works. Only problem is that it only has one sensor. Since overflow is an issue, why aren't you looking at the regular osmolator or even better, look at the avast marine ATO. Uses a pressure tube and float switch for backup. No worrying on the optical sensor getting fouled up. Link here.

OP
OP
willthethrill

willthethrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only real failsafe is a reservoir small enough that it only holds enough water to fill the tank, but not enough to overflow it.

That's my game plan. Gona try to see what quantity of water can get pumped in until the water level gets close to the rim of the tank. And then I'll only keep that amount in the reservoir. Filling that little reservoir every 2 or 3 days is still better than pouring water in manually twice a day

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back