Aussie Live Rock Discussion

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is primarily a discussion about Aussie live rock and not targeted at liverockandreef. Being they are not a sponsor maybe we can have an actual discussion without it getting hidden away in a vendor complaint thread.

So… Australian live rock. I want to share my experience and see others experiences getting it. I have plenty of rock but decided to get 25 pounds to add new flavor to my tank. I ended up ordering from liverockandreef in Tampa and in the end, it ended up being $25.38 a pound with UPS Priority Overnight shipped from NY. The guy called me and was pretty adamant about not buying the rock for its color, because it wouldn’t last, which made me a little uneasy. I had seen a review of his where someone got a box of white rock. However, he said I would be getting part of a 6000 pound fresh shipment around the first week of May. He also explained the rock was very light and I would get almost a full box. That’s not what happened. Anyway, I guess about a week ago I got the box. The rock was pretty well wrapped and packed with bubble wrap but still some breakage. My biggest problem was they threw in 10lb+ piece that felt like a chunk of concrete which is likely what broke up some of the other rock and racked up the weight. The remaining pieces were ok and I got chunk and shelf rock and little to no branch as I requested. So, on what I got (other than the mostly white boulder) the colors were pretty nice but mostly pink coralline. Perhaps the best part was the rock really was very fresh, maybe a day off the plane from Aussie. Interestingly enough there were no hitchhikers to be found in the box. However other than pink much of the rock was black with what I thought was sponge but rather some sort of sheet like algae. There were some plants but not much other than some grassy like stuff and some bushy asparagopsis that will bind up a pump instantly.

It was very fresh, but I cured it close to a week to be sure. It went into a 44g Brute with fresh saltwater, pump, heater and lights along with a small bottle of Dr Tims starter. Midpoint I even added a tiny amount of Redsea Reef Energy + to help save anything alive. No problem, no stench but true to his word the rock mostly whited out in a matter of days. There were some traces of coral on the boulder but it remains to be seen what survives or what eventually pops out. The rock is in tank now and fortunately most of the black and brown came off in curing. Interesting enough no hitchhikers were found in the Brute when I emptied it.

I know there are not many options to get real live rock other than Gulf grown and a lot of the people want real Pacific rock which has become somewhat unobtainium in recent years. IMO the Aussie rock is not worth the typical going (exorbitant) price of $25 a pound. In fairness though Aussie is the one place you can get live branch rock from. After looking at a variety of sites I can pretty much guarantee the pieces pictured are cherry picked and photographed still fresh and you won’t see anything near as nice and it won’t last in your tank. Not a one including my vendor mentions the coralline won’t survive part on web page. Other than a disclaimer something like PIECES OF ROCK CAN VARY IN SIZE AND AMOUNT OF COLOR AND GROWTH ON THEM, NOT ALL PIECES WILL HAVE THE SAME AMOUNT OF COLOR OR GROWTH. THERE IS NO REFUNDS OR CREDIT GIVEN ON THIS LIVE ROCK.

rock1.jpg

rock2.jpg

rock3.jpg

rock4.jpg

Still rearranging but a sneak peek of the end product. In reality mostly glaring white but as close as I could get with a picture. Some hint of coralline left but time will tell assuming the aggressive red (on overflow in back) I have doesn't take over. If nothing else the boulder in the center will make a nice home for a bunch of hammers.
rock5.jpg

Last edited:

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that Aussie Live rock price is exorbitant, but I decided it was worth for me. I got it from different sources and mine was not covered in such a nice growth as yours. I cured it in brute container for 10 days or so and put into DT. Initially it looked as almost nothing survived, but after several months virtually all rock is covered in coralline algae and there are 2-3 types of macro algae, including halimeda. Rock is very porous and I feel that it definitely added bacterial biodiversity to my tank. Due to long shipment process it is unlikely to have other growth then algae and bacteria.
I mixed Aussie rock with Marco’s rock and TBS one. TBS had some sponges, worms etc, which survived, unfortunately also 2 mantis shrimp and so far I managed to catch one and the other one outsmarts me so far.
I must say though, that so far, no cyano, dinos or GHA.
BTW, I don’t see that adding bottled bacteria to live rock is of any benefit other than to the manufacturer of the product.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I remember my first time buying raw Fiji rock it came looking like yours out of the box. It did bleach out a little bit during the cure, but colored up and seeded the tank with all sorts of things.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also bought it primarily to ad some additional biodiversity. I was satisfied with what I got. However I also got some that I didnt anticipate in the form of a Mantis shrimp.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aussie rock is pricey. I have seen several shipments of it come in at Unique Corals and picked up a few pounds here and there. Because i was adding 10-20lbs to a 1500g system I didn't bother curing it and it went right in and never went white.

The better rock I got in the past year was from the Solomon Islands. This rock was really nice open shapes. Wide spaced smooth branches. Against 20-30lbs added to existing system. Ended up with some brain corals and favias surviving and growing.

No discernible plant life on either Aussie or Solomons. I also put it into a tank with 20 tangs - and Angels, and they 'cured' the rock within a few hours. Within 2 weeks you can't tell which rock is Tonga, Marshall, Fiji, Aussie or Solomon in my tank.

Dave B

OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that Aussie Live rock price is exorbitant, but I decided it was worth for me. I got it from different sources and mine was not covered in such a nice growth as yours. I cured it in brute container for 10 days or so and put into DT. Initially it looked as almost nothing survived, but after several months virtually all rock is covered in coralline algae and there are 2-3 types of macro algae, including halimeda. Rock is very porous and I feel that it definitely added bacterial biodiversity to my tank. Due to long shipment process it is unlikely to have other growth then algae and bacteria.
I mixed Aussie rock with Marco’s rock and TBS one. TBS had some sponges, worms etc, which survived, unfortunately also 2 mantis shrimp and so far I managed to catch one and the other one outsmarts me so far.
I must say though, that so far, no cyano, dinos or GHA.
BTW, I don’t see that adding bottled bacteria to live rock is of any benefit other than to the manufacturer of the product.
This is a 200g with all live rock I have collected over the last 30 years from Hawaii, Fiji, Marshall, Solomons etc. and never had anything bleach out quite like this. Cycling bacteria is a hot topic but IME it truly speeds up the cycle especially with new rock and decaying organisms. I started my current tank close to 10 years ago and using an additive had it fully cycled and less than two weeks with livestock in. It will be interesting to see what comes out of it though.

OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aussie rock is pricey. I have seen several shipments of it come in at Unique Corals and picked up a few pounds here and there. Because i was adding 10-20lbs to a 1500g system I didn't bother curing it and it went right in and never went white.

The better rock I got in the past year was from the Solomon Islands. This rock was really nice open shapes. Wide spaced smooth branches. Against 20-30lbs added to existing system. Ended up with some brain corals and favias surviving and growing.

No discernible plant life on either Aussie or Solomons. I also put it into a tank with 20 tangs - and Angels, and they 'cured' the rock within a few hours. Within 2 weeks you can't tell which rock is Tonga, Marshall, Fiji, Aussie or Solomon in my tank.

Dave B
LOL yes, my tang and angels are finishing the cure.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were in America I'd consider a small amount but $25 a piece is just too much for something which has semi debatable benefits to stock a standard tank entirely with. I really don't believe in the effectiveness of very expensive "rubble" at all so that's not something I'd consider however.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back