Aussie lords = Acan or Micromussa?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is discussed in other places, but I didn't see this specifically. WWC has Aussie Lords. Do they mean Acans or Micromussa or could be either?

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One in the same but confusing.

Micromussa lordhowensis are "Lords" or "Acan Lords" .

There is also "Micro's" which are just way smaller polyp Acans maybe? Not super sure on the micros honestly, only ever kept Holy Grail Micros but I've had all kinds of Acan Lords.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scientifically, they're the same; Acanthastrea lordhowensis was reclassified as Micromussa lordhowensis a few years ago after researchers determined that they were actually part of the Micromussa genus. Within the hobby, we still call them Acan lords and make a distinction between them and other Micromussa corals, but they're just another species with a slightly different morphology than other Micromussa species. In 15 years we might all be calling them Micro lords (and some vendors already do), but most hobbyists (myself included) still call them Acans.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scientifically, they're the same; Acanthastrea lordhowensis was reclassified as Micromussa lordhowensis a few years ago after researchers determined that they were actually part of the Micromussa genus. Within the hobby, we still call them Acan lords and make a distinction between them and other Micromussa corals, but they're just another species with a slightly different morphology than other Micromussa species. In 15 years we might all be calling them Micro lords (and some vendors already do), but most hobbyists (myself included) still call them Acans.
Thanks!

Johnnyrainbowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Johnnyrainbowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One in the same but confusing.

Micromussa lordhowensis are "Lords" or "Acan Lords" .

There is also "Micro's" which are just way smaller polyp Acans maybe? Not super sure on the micros honestly, only ever kept Holy Grail Micros but I've had all kinds of Acan Lords.
There’s 2 genus. The micros are micromussa Amakasenis, the bigger ones are micromussa Lordhowensis formal know as acans. Hope that helps guys.

Back