"Aussie" millepora

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has a tight tabling Aussie millepora. I've scored some gems from this place in the past as frags. This is a maricultured colony. He has it labeled as a Aussie Rainbow Millepora. The price is steep for a gamble but something about it has me tempted to pull the trigger. He dips hard in melafix followed by a few other treatments so most of these pieces are not what they were when they came in ( I know they tend to change regardless in aquariums). What attracts me to this piece is it's extremely dark base with just a couple hints of bright tips here and there, the polyps look lighter metallic coloration. This makes me think it will color up to a blue or purple type "rainbow" millepora which is on my list.

I'd love to see rainbow millepora, if anyone has millis that they know came from australia even better.

Here are two gamble millepora from this shop I got as frags.

Soulburn millepora.jpg

Velvet psychedelic tiger cuddler.jpg
DSC_0145.jpg

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Millies are awesome and if there’s only one species I could keep, it would be millepora. The color variety and polyp extension alone make them number one on my list. Granulosa is the smooth skin equivalent.
I couldn’t agree more! I actually found a cool granulosa yesterday at AOA. Greenish with purple little coralites but has more of a gold tone to it under bluer light.

That millepora I'm talking about looks pretty weird. I'll shoot you a picture if I end up getting it.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I couldn’t agree more! I actually found a cool granulosa yesterday at AOA. Greenish with purple little coralites but has more of a gold tone to it under bluer light.

That millepora I'm talking about looks pretty weird. I'll shoot you a picture if I end up getting it.
Yeah, I would like to see it. I need to visit @uniquecorals soon and check out their millie selection. The granulosa sounds cool.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I would like to see it. I need to visit @uniquecorals soon and check out their millie selection. The granulosa sounds cool.
Since you'll be in the neighborhood, hit up Golden State Corals as well. I've always found it hard to shop in person at UC. The way the tables are set under the lights makes it very difficult to see anything in detail

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since you'll be in the neighborhood, hit up Golden State Corals as well. I've always found it hard to shop in person at UC. The way the tables are set under the lights makes it very difficult to see anything in detail
Funny you mention @GoldenStateCorals, it's my local hangout and I've been supporting Elliot for a long time. You can usually find me there every Saturday. I'm lucky, as I have 3 great stores within 15 minutes of where I live. @GoldenStateCorals @uniquecorals and @Vivid Aquariums. I'm kinda spoiled in that regard.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you mention @GoldenStateCorals, it's my local hangout and I've been supporting Elliot for a long time. You can usually find me there every Saturday. I'm lucky, as I have 3 great stores within 15 minutes of where I live. @GoldenStateCorals @uniquecorals and @Vivid Aquariums. I'm kinda spoiled in that regard.
We have likely met then, or at least been there at the same time.

I put GSC AND Vivid in a very different class then unique. Unique sells in quantity. The other two in quality.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have likely met then, or at least been there at the same time.

I put GSC AND Vivid in a very different class then unique. Unique sells in quantity. The other two in quality.
I'm the long haired guy always talking about the old days of reefing. Lately I've been sporting my Reef Beef t-shirt. :p

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait a second. are we neighbors too lol? Im generally at vivid about every couple weeks or so haha

you'll have to come to the next 'frag swap' @Lost in the Sauce arranges. He's a stand-up dude and finally got a few of us in the valley to actually meet each other :) do you have the same name in the reefbeef discord? I think ive seen you in there

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wait a second. are we neighbors too lol? Im generally at vivid about every couple weeks or so haha

you'll have to come to the next 'frag swap' @Lost in the Sauce arranges. He's a stand-up dude and finally got a few of us in the valley to actually meet each other :) do you have the same name in the reefbeef discord? I think ive seen you in there
Yup, same screen name, but you can call me John. I’m always down for frag swaps or just hanging out and talking all things reef.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm gamblin on it. I feel like I see some potential hiding in there. I saw a picture of when it came in and it looked pretty good. It was under all blue there, at home it's pretty brown and not a lot of polyp extension. Could be light shock but hopefully it does well.
I really like the growth structure but will have to see what it does in my system. My hopes are a purple base with a different colored polyp, maybe teal, and yellow or green coralite tips as it colors up.
14kish T5. For now a nice brown :)
TDawgGambler.jpg

Blues looking interesting. Macro lense, Quanta OG pop through an orange filter
TDawgGamblerNight.jpg

He had another millepora that had grown back from cutting it off his rock while selling a colony. This one looks like it could get nice
TDawgCsAll Night.jpg

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true! One of my favorites I've had was just a super bright pink millie from RR USA, it was also labeled a rainbow milli. It'll be interesting to see what this one does.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you bought the whole big colony man?
I did but it's not all that big if you look at the purple death polyps. Maybe 2.5-3" across? Part of what I like was the growth pattern but I'm sure that'll change in my tank. I may frag it and place it in a couple areas to see where it does best.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back