Gaufl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! ;)

I need to clear this up.

The last weeks, I tried to find an Astralomussa and came to the conclusion that there is quite a confusion between it and Parascolymia vitiensis in the hobby. I searched a few scientific papers just to be more confused in the end.

Lets begin by saying that both species have been reclassified scientifically into the Lobophyllia genus, which means that the correct names for these two are now Lobophyllia rowleyensis and Lobophyllia vitiensis.
As names tend to stick in the hobby I will be referring to both in their former scientific nomenclature.

Lets start with Parascolymia vitiensis
c13175-600x400.jpg
(Copyright CoralZone)

this type of LPS is often solitary and thus easy to distinguish from Australomussa, the Problem starts when you come accross a polystomatous Parascolymia vitiensis.
1577_Dehg6EPkcM.jpg

This coral should be a polystomatous Parascolymia vitiensis, not an Australomussa.

According to the paper:
Phylogenetic relationships and taxonomy of the coral genera Australomussa and Parascolymia (Scleractinia, Lobophylliidae) (Arrigont et alii),
Australomussa rowleyensis is much more dome shaped ("3D") and looks like this:
images
(Copyright western australian museum)

As you can see, it looks nothing like the Australomussas often seen in captive care. So that basically leads me to the conclusion that a lot of Australomussas sold in the hobby are actually Parascolymia vitiensis.

Trying to find a "real" Australomussa rowleyensis has prooven to be quite difficult, and even that is an understatement ;), as the are quite rare in the wild and even more rare in Imports.

20190531_213305.jpg

20190605_192253.jpg

20190512_171920.jpg

As you can see, It differs quite a bit from the majority of "Australomussas" sold in the hobby.

But then there is this:
20190615_192451.jpg

20190615_192458.jpg

This is the typical coral sold as Australomussa in the hobby. (This one actually is one from Indo, but it does not differ a lot from Aussie ones). As you can see, it greatly differs from both, the actual Australomussa and Parascolymia. Maybe we are talking about a third species that adds to the confusion?

I hope I could clear up a bit of confusion anyways (or maybe I added to it ;)).
I am really looking forward to opinions regarding this topic to stop my head from smoking :D

Greetings,
Flo

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna bump this thread with a picture of one of my corals which I thought to be a Moseleya Coral but I now believe it to be a lobophyllia rowleyensis ( previously parascolymia rowleyensis).

P1050269.JPG

I have jumped around for a few months now trying to determine what it is but I do now truly believe that it is this.

OP
OP
Gaufl

Gaufl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!
Your coral is definately a Lobophyllia (Australomussa) rowleyensis.
In the last months, I dove even deeper in taxonomy on these corals.
The coral that I thought to be an Australomussa was really a coral that was recently featured on reefbuilders, called "Tonga-Mussa" there. I think it is a morph of Homophyllia bowerbanki that might be endemic to Tonga.

The last coral on my post should be an Australomussa.

Good luck with your coral!

Greetings,
Flo

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back