ID Request(Possible Australomussa/Parascolymia)

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in a weird spot and hard to get a good photo of it, but I think these will be good enough.
There's a little confusion on the nomenclature with some things being recategorized, butI think this might be a Parascolymia vitiensis/Australomussa/whatever.
I got it cheap for like $40.. online seems to value these in the hundreds since they're relatively rare to the hobby, so that's awesome! I'll be keeping it as long as I can, but I'd like to nail down a correct name if possible. Info for this genus is scarce on google.
IMG_9264.png
IMG_9263.png

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like some sort of chalice in the family lobophylliidae. Also, parascolymia is not a valid genus anymore.

OP
OP
pygo1

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like some sort of chalice in the family lobophylliidae. Also, parascolymia is not a valid genus anymore.
Thanks for the heads up! Couldn’t remember which genus had become defunct.

i did end up coming across Echinophyllia, which shares some resemblance in terms of mouth shape and general form. The one thing that throws me off is my coral is very fleshy on the sides, which I’m not really seeing in other photos on google. Regardless, i think there are quite a few corals within Lobophyllidae, so down the rabbit hole i go!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 108 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back