Auto Aqua AWC problem

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone running an auto aqua awc having issues with salinity swings? I’ve had mine set up for a month or so doing appr. 1g change per day. I’ve noticed my salinity dropping from 35ppt to 33.5-34ppt over the course of two or three days lately. To compensate, I’ve been manually adding a qt of saltwater every other day or so, but obviously I’d like to figure out the cause.

Last night I changed the re-fill speed of the new fresh sw pump to fill slower. Started at 4, tried 5, and now trying 3. When it did the wc, I noticed it complete the cycle with the level in my return chamber appr. 1/4” lower than the level the ato normally keeps it at.

If I can’t figure this thing out I’m gonna take it offline soon. Thoughts?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used the Aqua Auto, but it seems like the AWC isn't compensating for evaporation. Seems like a few days of figuring the evaporation loss, and then compensating the AWC fill should sort this

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one also.

Yes the salinity will eventually drop on mine, because of my skimmer. I get 2 big episodes a day on the skimmer, 30 minutes when the lights come on, then 30 minute after they go out. I have a mixed reef and can't comment on anything but that, mine might be unique to what I have going on. My top off runs about a 3/4 to 1 gallon a day back into the tank.

I do run my skimmer on the wet side and will sometimes use it for water changes over 4-6 hours, I swap the pumps for fresh and salt on the controller, open the skimmer up a little more (HOB with drain), and let the AWC replace what the skimmer puts out with fresh salt water. Thats my lazy way for a 5 gallon change.

I also get a 1 point salt swing through out the day, per my apex salinity probe, not that I trust it.

I compensate by changing 1/2 gal a day per the AWC of fresh salt water at 37, keeps everything balanced for me.

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one also.

Yes the salinity will eventually drop on mine, because of my skimmer. I get 2 big episodes a day on the skimmer, 30 minutes when the lights come on, then 30 minute after they go out. I have a mixed reef and can't comment on anything but that, mine might be unique to what I have going on. My top off runs about a 3/4 to 1 gallon a day back into the tank.

I do run my skimmer on the wet side and will sometimes use it for water changes over 4-6 hours, I swap the pumps for fresh and salt on the controller, open the skimmer up a little more (HOB with drain), and let the AWC replace what the skimmer puts out with fresh salt water. Thats my lazy way for a 5 gallon change.

I also get a 1 point salt swing through out the day, per my apex salinity probe, not that I trust it.

I compensate by changing 1/2 gal a day per the AWC of fresh salt water at 37, keeps everything balanced for me.

Ok, so if I understand you correctly you’re having the same problem. When your unit does it’s AWC cycle does it stop short of refilling to the correct level? It seems like that’s what is going on with mine. It will do an AWC, finish the cycle, then compensate with a top-off of ro/di. It makes no sense to me, esp since the top optical sensor is the same for ATO and the AWC.

I slowed down the refill speed, and now have the new sw pump dumping into a different chamber of the sump. Gonna run that for a few days and see if that takes care of it. I’d rather not have to mix my new sw at a higher salinity if possible, as I use it for other stuff too. When I drain my skimmer I replace the same volume with new sw so that’s not it.

Have you messed with the refilling speed for the AWC?

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used the Aqua Auto, but it seems like the AWC isn't compensating for evaporation. Seems like a few days of figuring the evaporation loss, and then compensating the AWC fill should sort this

This unit is an ATO AWC combo. Does both.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you decide to not use it, let me know. I'd like to experiment with one.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so if I understand you correctly you’re having the same problem. When your unit does it’s AWC cycle does it stop short of refilling to the correct level? It seems like that’s what is going on with mine. It will do an AWC, finish the cycle, then compensate with a top-off of ro/di. It makes no sense to me, esp since the top optical sensor is the same for ATO and the AWC.

I slowed down the refill speed, and now have the new sw pump dumping into a different chamber of the sump. Gonna run that for a few days and see if that takes care of it. I’d rather not have to mix my new sw at a higher salinity if possible, as I use it for other stuff too. When I drain my skimmer I replace the same volume with new sw so that’s not it.

Have you messed with the refilling speed for the AWC?

I have not messed with the speeds at all, still set at 5.

Just forced a change on it. Mine activates on the middle part of the lower sensor, shuts off on the middle of the top sensor, by the time the water drains out the fill tube, its at the top of the top sensor. So it worked right this time, as always when your watching it.

I know mine does stop short, and the ATO will run right after. I'm going to keep a close eye on it for the next couple days for something may be shutting it off early. Its set to fill at the same time every day.

I will report back with any findings.

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not messed with the speeds at all, still set at 5.

Just forced a change on it. Mine activates on the middle part of the lower sensor, shuts off on the middle of the top sensor, by the time the water drains out the fill tube, its at the top of the top sensor. So it worked right this time, as always when your watching it.

I know mine does stop short, and the ATO will run right after. I'm going to keep a close eye on it for the next couple days for something may be shutting it off early. Its set to fill at the same time every day.

I will report back with any findings.

Of course it worked perfect while you’re watching! Took me a while to figure out this was my problem because it seemed to work fine when I watched as well. I was even checking for leaks in my tank/plumbing.

Thanks for checking for me and I’ll report back as well.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it worked perfect while you’re watching! Took me a while to figure out this was my problem because it seemed to work fine when I watched as well. I was even checking for leaks in my tank/plumbing.

Thanks for checking for me and I’ll report back as well.

lol, i've checked for leaks probably a dozen times so far too.

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added sw to the tank last night to raise it back up. Checked just now, perfect at 35ppt. Just heated up some of my fresh sw to the display temp and it checked out at 35ppt. Should get a pretty good idea in the next day or two.

Kind of disappointing really; the main reason I got the dang thing was for added stability lol. I had more stable salinity when I topped off manually 15yrs ago on my first tank!

Edit* Calibrated the refracto beforehand as well. ( it was on point)

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I just sat through a whole AWC cycle. This is where the level was when it completed,

6219DEBA-B2C9-4842-B7D5-937BC8955B3C.jpeg

It ran two ATO cycles within a few minutes of being done with the water change, and it leveled off here,

905A9091-E873-46C1-8F0D-C7CE94040A3C.jpeg

Doesn’t look like much, but in my return chamber that is around a pint or pint and a half. So far I’m not too hopeful that the changes I made are going to do anything.

Anyone else have the same issue with this thing? It can’t just be Jay Z and I.

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I’d update the thread since it’s been a couple of weeks. The changes that I made seemed to have no effect on keeping the salinity stable, looks like it takes around 5 days to drop from 35ppt to 33.5-34ppt.

It appears the Autoaqua is only filling around 80% of the water removed during a change, and making the difference up with ato RO/DI water. I can’t for the life of me understand why this is...

In the next couple of days I’ll be mixing more saltwater to fill my changing barrel, and am going to try to compensate with a higher salinity mix. Not what I want to do, but I leave town for work a couple weeks at a time during the summer, and really want the AWC working while I’m gone to lessen the work load on my wife.

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I mixed a new batch of water at 37ppt to try and compensate. Tank salinity continued to drop over the following 4 or 5 days.

Since then I added salt to the new saltwater to 40ppt on the 7th, and so far the tank level is holding. I’m continuing to closely monitor, but so far so good.

nicksmith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been struggling with this also, but only now that I have a sump. I think things take time to flow and somehow that throws things off. Doing the same thing by using higher salt level in water. If anyone else finds a real solution that would be great!

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#NickC
I've been running this system for a couple months now and don't have this problem. Did you ever resolve it? Maybe time how long it takes to do a cycle or fill. Could be a timing thing? Maybe contact Auto Aqua?

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RCS82 ,
I never truly figured it out really. I’ve got it running still, but changed to have it do two, larger water changes twice a week. Also still have the new saltwater mixed strong at 40. I still really stay on top of checking the tank with the refractometer.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 99 43.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 106 46.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.7%
Back