Auto Top off + water change??

Dmat21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question I’m having a brain fart.

going to be running The Neptune Apex with a couple of their dos units for dosing All-for-reef and a RO water top off on one and on the other one I’m hoping to do an automatic water change set up this all will work correct?
i’m a quadriplegic trying to automate my system

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your question will the ATO interfere with the water changes? If the auto water changes are programmed properly then it will add water at the same rate it takes water out so the ATO shouldn't impact it. I run DOS for auto water changes on 3 of my tanks and have not had an issue with the ATO (my ATOs are all Tunze). With the auto water change I would keep an eye on salinity. Over time the DOS will need to be recalibrated and or heads replaced a quick indicator of the DOS maintenances is a change in salinity. I have to recalibrated my doses every 3+ months or so for my water changes. If I calibrate and they get out of wack quickly then I will replace the dosing heads. Good luck.

OP
OP
Dmat21

Dmat21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your question will the ATO interfere with the water changes? If the auto water changes are programmed properly then it will add water at the same rate it takes water out so the ATO shouldn't impact it. I run DOS for auto water changes on 3 of my tanks and have not had an issue with the ATO (my ATOs are all Tunze). With the auto water change I would keep an eye on salinity. Over time the DOS will need to be recalibrated and or heads replaced a quick indicator of the DOS maintenances is a change in salinity. I have to recalibrated my doses every 3+ months or so for my water changes. If I calibrate and they get out of wack quickly then I will replace the dosing heads. Good luck.
I was just going to run two dos by Neptune. One being dosing an additive and being my RODI water top off. On the second dose I was planning on doing auto water change system.
My question was how do you calculate how much fresh water to add and/or program as well as for the dirty salt water coming out and fresh salt water coming in on one of the dos
how do you make them compatible with how much water is coming in and out of your tank to keep a steady full tank?

also roughly how much do you think my 65 gallon aquarium will evaporate a day I’m debating on what size reservoir to get for my rodi water so I don’t have to top it off so much

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to run two dos by Neptune. One being dosing an additive and being my RODI water top off. On the second dose I was planning on doing auto water change system.
My question was how do you calculate how much fresh water to add and/or program as well as for the dirty salt water coming out and fresh salt water coming in on one of the dos
how do you make them compatible with how much water is coming in and out of your tank to keep a steady full tank?
I use the Avast Marine ATO with their breakout box and it works like a charm! it has a water level pressure switch, so when the sump water level where my return pump gets low, the ATO just tops it off with Fresh Water. Salt does not evaporate, so putting in fresh water for ATO is what you need. Salinity stays stable for me.

When you do the Auto Water Change, make sure the ATO is turned off so it doesnt try to fill with Fresh Water during the change. you want to refill with fresh saltwater when doing an AWC.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the water change you can use the set-up wizard to program the DOS for the water change. You just tell it how much water each day and it will program it. I usually set mine up manually so I have both the heads turning the same direction which makes calibrating a lot easier. To set up manually just modify the interval and make sure both the fresh SW and old SW are both on the same schedule and same amounts. Below is a screen print of one of mine.

If you are going to use a DOS for ATO then you will need a sensor in the tank to tell the DOS when to turn on and turn off. I have always used a dedicated ATO system for ATO. There may be others who have set-up the DOS and can provide input on that.

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 2.22.42 PM.png

OP
OP
Dmat21

Dmat21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Avast Marine ATO with their breakout box and it works like a charm! it has a water level pressure switch, so when the sump water level where my return pump gets low, the ATO just tops it off with Fresh Water. Salt does not evaporate, so putting in fresh water for ATO is what you need. Salinity stays stable for me.

When you do the Auto Water Change, make sure the ATO is turned off so it doesnt try to fill with Fresh Water during the change. you want to refill with fresh saltwater when doing an AWC.
Yeah that’s why I’m gonna automate everything with the Neptune dos pumps; ATO, water Changing and dosing additives

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need a DOS for your ATO, just an ATO kit. If you want to stick with the Neptune kit you can use their ATK. There are also other alternatives that lots of others use including the Avast and Tunze Ozmolator offerings. As mentioned if you want to use the second DOS head on the unit doing your dosing then you need to control it by some form of a sensor. You also want some redundancy to prevent the primary sensor failing and your DOS then running too long causing a flood. The Neptune ATK gives you 3 levels of redundancy - a secondary sensor, a float valve to shut off supply and the When ON > xxx Then OFF command.

OP
OP
Dmat21

Dmat21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need a DOS for your ATO, just an ATO kit. If you want to stick with the Neptune kit you can use their ATK. There are also other alternatives that lots of others use including the Avast and Tunze Ozmolator offerings. As mentioned if you want to use the second DOS head on the unit doing your dosing then you need to control it by some form of a sensor. You also want some redundancy to prevent the primary sensor failing and your DOS then running too long causing a flood. The Neptune ATK gives you 3 levels of redundancy - a secondary sensor, a float valve to shut off supply and the When ON > xxx Then OFF command.
Ya I don’t want all the extra cra.
Going to measure the evaporation rate and use a dos for ATO.
And just keep an eye on the evaporation levels during season change

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back