auto wasser change - will this method work?

Bigair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have successfully set up an auto top-off (ATO) system with an auto-refilling mechanism, which has been working flawlessly for several weeks.

However, I now wish to adapt my ATO system for automatic water changes (AWC). Unfortunately, my RO reservoir is located in my basement, and I have already drilled several holes to allow pipes and wires to reach the tank. I am feeling a bit lazy and do not want to drill any more holes.

My proposed solution is to use two separate dosing pumps. One pump will drain water from the tank, and the other will add the same volume of water back but will direct the water to the RO reservoir.

I am concerned that this setup may not work because the saltwater may not reach the tank in time and may be delayed. Currently, my RO reservoir refills every three days.

any comment?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have successfully set up an auto top-off (ATO) system with an auto-refilling mechanism, which has been working flawlessly for several weeks.

However, I now wish to adapt my ATO system for automatic water changes (AWC). Unfortunately, my RO reservoir is located in my basement, and I have already drilled several holes to allow pipes and wires to reach the tank. I am feeling a bit lazy and do not want to drill any more holes.

My proposed solution is to use two separate dosing pumps. One pump will drain water from the tank, and the other will add the same volume of water back but will direct the water to the RO reservoir.

I am concerned that this setup may not work because the saltwater may not reach the tank in time and may be delayed. Currently, my RO reservoir refills every three days.

any comment?
No that wont work very well. Your ATO needs to supply RO for evap based on the water level in your system.

You cant fit 2 more 1/4" lines through any exisiting holes???

OP
OP
Bigair

Bigair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that wont work very well. Your ATO needs to supply RO for evap based on the water level in your system.

You cant fit 2 more 1/4" lines through any exisiting holes???

no, the hole only allow one 1/4 pipe, I will try to make it bigger or use the existing ATO pipe with a magnet valve share same power as ATO pump, then salt water can be connected with a T joint, will that work?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use three dosing pumps for my ATO and AWC pumps all three are in my garage 35ft from the tank. The tubing is run up through the attic and down the wall to the tank. The drain also goes from the drain pump back up through the attic to the drain under the kitchen sink. All three pumps are controlled by my Hydros controller using the AWC output type. Doing that it disables the ATO during the water change so it can drain and then fill the tank. The AWC and ATO use the same water level sensor for full indication so that sensor has to show full before the AWC sequence will start so it runs the ATO first if it is not full. All three lines to the tank are 1/4" tubing like what is used on RODI systems. Below is a photo of the pumps in the garage and also the wall plate where the tubing exits the wall. There is also tubing for air and CO2 but those are not implemented since I do not use an air pump or do not run a calcium reactor at this time. I have two tanks but one is not setup but I made enough shelves for pumps for both tanks in the garage. The solenoids at the top are for the RODI. That is also controlled by my Hydros. I used to have a dosing pump out there also and had check valves on the output of the ATO pump and the dosing pump and the the lines coupled and used the ATO for both. That worked sine I was adding the All For Reef I was dosing to the ATO line so when the ATO ran it would also dispense the All For Reef that was added to the line from the dosing pump for that.
IMG_8499.jpeg

20151215_180156559_iOS.jpeg

OP
OP
Bigair

Bigair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, amazing setup, I'm wondering how can man achieve that work of art!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, amazing setup, I'm wondering how can man achieve that work of art!
It takes a lot of time. I have a build thread here on R2R for this tank. I did start the thread after it was up and running but do go back to the build with photos of the build. The garage control board was done after I got the Hydros which was a little over 2 years ago. Here is a link to the build thread if you want to see more https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/canopy-and-stand-build-for-42-gallon-hex-tank.317822/ .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back