Auto water-change pump options

SpringFever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

After several years out of the hobby I'm jumping back in. I'd like to add an AWC to my system. In reading the specs of the brs dosers I already have, I see that their Max distance is 20'. My garage is a flat 35' run from the tank location.

I have a reefkeeper controller.

Does anyone know of a pump compatible with the reefkeeper that can handle a 35' distance? I'll likely be exchanging around one gallon per day, if that matters.

Thanks for reading. Any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
S

SpringFever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted BRS and Marine Depot. BRS recommended the Apex DOS even though I told them I don't have an apex controller and don't want to buy one; Marine Depot had no idea what I was talking about.

There has to be a pump out there that can handle 35' and isnt reliant on an apex. Anybody have any ideas? It doesn't matter how hair-brai Ed at this point...

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stenner dual head pumps
GHL 2.1 Doser
GHL MAXI Doser
Ecotech Versa

Are all pumps that can handle that kind of distance. There are a few more out there as well those would just be the top picks for most none of them require a controller to work but they aren't super cheap either...

Ayrity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you specifically looking for a twin pump so that the amount pumped in is the am ok until out? Or do you have some other plan for it and just need it to pump out to the garage?

If the former idk, the latter, use something like this if you need the pump out of the water.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stenner dual head

OP
OP
S

SpringFever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You, sir, are a stud! Thanks for the input. Let the homework begin.

ReefChef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If cost isn't a huge factor look into spectrapure litermeter 3. The total set up is around $450, but the support and product are awesome. I use a dos for my awc but a spectrapure ato. You can't beat their customer service which is huge for me. Good luck on your choice.

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If choosy isn't a huge factor look into spectrapure litermeter 3. The total set up is around $450, but the support and product are awesome. I use a dos for my awc but a spectrapure ato. You can't beat their customer service which is huge for me. Good luck on your choice.

Another great option!

OP
OP
S

SpringFever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda like the litermeter idea. Only drawback is they are rated to pull up to 25' and push up to 60'. But... They sell just the pumps for $100 each.

My current thinking is to plumb one remote pump in my stand, and one in the garage. I can then wire them both into my ReefKeeper.

And by the way, what the heck happened to Digital Aquatics?!?!? A man takes a 3 year break and the hobby goes to ****...

ReefChef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda like the litermeter idea. Only drawback is they are rated to pull up to 25' and push up to 60'. But... They sell just the pumps for $100 each.

My current thinking is to plumb one remote pump in my stand, and one in the garage. I can then wire them both into my ReefKeeper.

And by the way, what the heck happened to Digital Aquatics?!?!? A man takes a 3 year break and the hobby goes to ****...
As far as the 25' draw, that's vertical!!! I have my tubing running under the crawlspace to my garage for about a total of 60' horizontal draw. Matt from octo aquatics had one for sale I'll include the link.

Im a newbie so im not familiar with the reef keeper as I run an apex.

OP
OP
S

SpringFever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. I see. Yeah - that make a difference for sure. I sent Matt a pm. That might be a great option.

Thank for all the input, folks!!!

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just installed an apex and dos for this very reason and it is pulling through the loft of my entire office without a problem. Amazing system. Obviously very expensive in that you need the apex too.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back