Auto water changes

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have approximately 115-120 total volume and want to set up auto water changes.
For this volume how much water should I change if I want to do small daily exchanges? I already have good nutrient export so it doesn’t need to be a massive amount

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often did you change your water before and how much did you change.
same totals but divide it up daily now. Probably about 30 gallons a month? if so maybe do 2 gallons a day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often did you change your water before and how much did you change.
same totals but divide it up daily now. Probably about 30 gallons a month? if so maybe do 2 gallons a day.
Not very consistent with water changes but everything is doing well just thought might be better if we started doing this

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you set up a system with a 1-5 gallon range. This way you could start out small at 1 gallon, test to your liking and increase if need be?
Yes. I’m using a jebao 4 head pump and will use one pump to remove water and another to replenish same time each day and my ATO is controlled by Hydros so can program it to shut off for that same timeframe. Pumps are fully programmable

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 125g I change out around 2 gallons a day, which is roughly 1.5% so by the end of the week I’ve changed roughly 10%.

I wouldn’t think that the Jebao pumps would be good to put that much volume through. They will likely work to start with but I wouldn’t be surprised if the heads quickly wear out.

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 125g I change out around 2 gallons a day, which is roughly 1.5% so by the end of the week I’ve changed roughly 10%.

I wouldn’t think that the Jebao pumps would be good to put that much volume through. They will likely work to start with but I wouldn’t be surprised if the heads quickly wear out.
Hmmm. I haven’t really used it at all. I dose All For Reef with a Kaemor Bluetooth pump but it’s small amounts. I love that pump

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. I haven’t really used it at all. I dose All For Reef with a Kaemor Bluetooth pump but it’s small amounts. I love that pump
I use several of the cheaper kamoer x1 pumps and some of the bubble magus ts1 pumps. For dosing both of them work really well, however I would not rely on either of them as a AWC pump. For my AWC I use an older masterflex pump.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spread out as in every 2 hours or 4x/day? What’s optimal?

Probably doesn’t matter much, but mine was 12 periods of 15 min each spread out over 24 h (using a Home Depot timer).

Last edited:

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 130g changes 2g a day using the DOS over 2 hours. It can run up to 50ft, so I have it piped right into my basement sink. I fill up my 50g drum once every 3 weeks and that’s it.

DOS heads are rated for 5000 hours so that’s 2500 days of water changes done for me for $300.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back