Autofeeding Return section of sump

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone feed to the return section of their sump? I was thinking some pellets and reeds oysterfeast. These would both be individual autofeeders and the reason to feed to this area is that there is more room for the autofeeders, less noise, and a few other reasons.

Is feeding to the return area a bad idea? Will my return pumps efficiently suck up the food?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Dudes does it

My understanding is as long as your pump dosnt have a pre filter you should be good. Personally I dont want to as my fish arnt all that good at finding pellets so id want to use a feeding ring

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only add pellets that sunk, but was also thinking of putting liquid food on a doser an adding to the sump ie oyster feast. Anyone done that? I am still worried the return pump wll get clogged somehow.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only add pellets that sunk, but was also thinking of putting liquid food on a doser an adding to the sump ie oyster feast. Anyone done that? I am still worried the return pump wll get clogged somehow.
I think as long as you don't feed too much at once and the pellets can fit between the propellor blades it shouldn't clog. Sinking pellets are probably your best option after liquid or frozen. Liquids should work well but may not get to desired corals

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think as long as you don't feed too much at once and the pellets can fit between the propellor blades it shouldn't clog. Sinking pellets are probably your best option after liquid or frozen. Liquids should work well but may not get to desired corals
So you dont think something like reef nutrition oyster feast would gunk up the propeller?

What if I were to use small chunks of seafood?

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t speak for all pumps, but they generally are pretty robust. I wouldn’t worry too much about gunking up the propeller with some small food chunks.

I haven’t seen it, but I’ve heard of live fish going through pumps only to come out the other side just fine (I’m not sure how much I believe that though).

If you’re looking to broadcast feed, adding to the sump is fine, in my opinion.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back