Return pump in Main Sump chamber with skimmer?

DW66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of doing some upgrades to my tank, adding a carbon reactor and an Algae reactor.

These will not fit inside my main sump compartment (Waterbox 220.6) so I am going to have to put them in the far right compartment of my stand.

Plumbing wise it would be better for me to put the pumps for these reactors in the return section of the sump but being me, I have gone overkill on the pump Size and fitting two Varios2's inside the return section with the Varios6 that's already there isn't going to work.

Is there a downside to moving my primary return pump into the "main" sump chamber where the skimmer is? I'd leave the ATO sensor in the return compartment so the water level would still be accurate.

Thanks for any advice.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I am following this, but the return pump generally needs to be in the compartment with the lowest level that everything flows down to. I am not familiar with this sump, but I suspect the return pump chamber will fill to up to the same level as the skimmer chamber. That might be acceptable. The only way this would not happen would be if the reactor pumps are moving more water than the return pumps (which could be possible). I would probably try to feed both reactor with one of the Varios-2 pumps if that would allow it to fit in the skimmer chamber.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Is there a downside to moving my primary return pump into the "main" sump chamber where the skimmer is? I'd leave the ATO sensor in the return compartment so the water level would still be accurate.

Thanks for any advice.
The downside is that you will probably see a increase in micro bubbles in the display tank.

deafasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't you put the pumps for the reactors in the main section of the sump and leave your return pump where it is supposed to be?

Jeff

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back