UV plumbing

DW66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling Dino's for ages. I have a Waterbox 220 which is really a 167 display tank.

Current tank parameters are:
Nitrate 2.4
phos .87

Tank flow from the main return is 790gph.

I am considering a 40 Watt UV, my return pump is already feeding the manifold that is running my Carbon reactor (110gph) and my soon to be installed Algae Reactor. So I really can't run another line off of that return.

So, the plan is to use a 2nd return pump which will reside in the skimmer section of the main chamber, the question is where to put the return flow from the sterilizer. I don't really want to put pipes into the display tank for asthetic reasons,, can I just run the outflow to the return section of the sump? How much more efficient would it be to run the return directly into the tank?

Thanks.
IMG_6517.jpeg

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recommended approach for treating dinos with UV is to setup the UV closed loop style in the tank. Run the feed pump in the tank as close to the sand bed as you can and return it back to the others side of the tank. Obviously it's not intended to stay this way - but for a few weeks or a month. At that point if you want to run UV full time, plumb it into the sump in any way that makes sense.

I had Coolia several years ago and was unable to get them under control running the UV through my sump in any manner. As soon as I flipped the feed pump to the display tank, there was noticeable difference the next morning.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be possible to just put the UV in-line in the return to the existing return to the tank? In that manner, every drop of water flowing through would be treated.

OP
OP
D

DW66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be possible to just put the UV in-line in the return to the existing return to the tank? In that manner, every drop of water flowing through would be treated.
In theory, yes. In practice, no. It's a Waterbox so the return lines are metric, also I just don't believe there is enough space to make that work.
The recommended approach for treating dinos with UV is to setup the UV closed loop style in the tank. Run the feed pump in the tank as close to the sand bed as you can and return it back to the others side of the tank. Obviously it's not intended to stay this way - but for a few weeks or a month. At that point if you want to run UV full time, plumb it into the sump in any way that makes sense.

I had Coolia several years ago and was unable to get them under control running the UV through my sump in any manner. As soon as I flipped the feed pump to the display tank, there was noticeable difference the next morning.
Ok. This makes sense. I was not wanting a permanent pump inside my DT, but a temp placement of one there makes sense. Thanks for the assist.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling Dino's for ages. I have a Waterbox 220 which is really a 167 display tank.

Current tank parameters are:
Nitrate 2.4
phos .87

Tank flow from the main return is 790gph.

I am considering a 40 Watt UV, my return pump is already feeding the manifold that is running my Carbon reactor (110gph) and my soon to be installed Algae Reactor. So I really can't run another line off of that return.

So, the plan is to use a 2nd return pump which will reside in the skimmer section of the main chamber, the question is where to put the return flow from the sterilizer. I don't really want to put pipes into the display tank for asthetic reasons,, can I just run the outflow to the return section of the sump? How much more efficient would it be to run the return directly into the tank?

Thanks.
IMG_6517.jpeg
that's exactly how mine is plumbed and works fine IMO.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back