Automatic ATO Reservoir Refill

jdccroad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a simple way to refill your ATO Reservoir? I put this together last night to automatically refill my Top Off Trash Can when it gets close to empty. It functions totally independent of my ATO.
Basically it’s a latching relay circuit. When both Float Valves are down (trash can empty) it opens the valve to let the RODI water flow into the can. As the trash can fills the bottom float valve lifts but since the relay has activated it is now completing the circuit that the lower float initiated (latching relay). The trash can will continue to fill until the upper float is raised, killing power to the circuit and resetting the relay. It won’t open the valve again until the water level drops below the bottom float. I made this to replace the $6.00 float in the sump connected directly to my RODI setup that I’ve had for the last year. Mr. Saltwater said it was dangerous as did many of the RRC members. I was told it was also bad for my RODI unit.
12V Relay & 12V 1/4†Solenoid Valve in a Radio Shack Project Box on top of a Wal-Mart Trash can with an Upper & Lower float valve installed.

Drilled for tubing to pass through

Installed a couple BRS ¼†bulkheads on the top of the trash can. One to the solenoid and the other to my ATO Pump.
Picture of it filling.

With cover installed & Pump

Complete

Wiring Schematic

Parts List
1 Radio Shack Project Box $6.50
Project Enclosure (6x4x2) : Project Boxes | RadioShack.com
1 1/4" Electric Solenoid Valve 12-volt Air, Water $16.00
1/4" Electric Solenoid Valve 12-volt Air, Water: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
1 12V SPDT Relay with Harness
Amazon.com: 5 Pack 30/40 AMP Relay Harness Spdt 12V Bosch Style: Automotive
1 12V 2A Power Supply Converter Adapter $7.00
Amazon.com: US plug AC 100-240V To DC 12V 2A Power Supply Converter Adapter for Led Lights Strips: Electronics
2 Liquid Water Level Horizontal Float Switch for Aquarium $4.50ea
Amazon.com: Liquid Water Level Horizontal Float Switch for Aquarium: Home Improvement
2 1/4" Push Connect Bulkhead Tank Adapter $4.00ea
1/4" Push Connect Bulkhead Tank Adapter - Bulk Reef Supply
1 1/4" Clear Acrylic Tube -16" Long $2.50 - Stiff tube to ensure it pulls water from the bottom of the trash can
1/4" Clear Acrylic Tube -16" Long - Bulk Reef Supply
Comments or questions, Let me know.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice DIY. I have two comments:

1. I'd double up the float switch on the top with one slightly higher than the other. Float switches will fail, and the top one would cause and overflow/flood. It's simple to do.....wired in series. This way you have a backup when the primary switch fails. Here's the double up I did for my skimmate container:

2. I've always been told that float switches can't stay submerged because they are not truly waterproof on the top. That's why some ATO setups have the tops covered in tubing to keep them dry. Please let us know if the lower switch fails soon or often. If it is a problem, a simple potential fix is a float switch with the wires on the outside. Here's what I use on my ATO container to let me know when it needed another bottle.

Again, thanks for sharing....love the DIY stuff.

Last edited:

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have mine on a timer and a float switch. This would be a better option if the bottom switch doesn't give you trouble

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a very similiar setup from auto top off for 50-60 bucks. Plug and play. Has the latching relay built in with dc for floats. Solenoid i had floats so didnt purchase.
image.jpeg

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
branespikin where did you get your reservoir?
This one i got on local forum. I have another one custom made for me which does not work for my application anymore. Had custom king make it. Hes out here in NY. Looking to get rid of it. Attached in image

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a float valve from my RODI system. Very inexpensive and failsafe. Works when the power is out as well.

ScottF83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a simple way to refill your ATO Reservoir? I put this together last night to automatically refill my Top Off Trash Can when it gets close to empty. It functions totally independent of my ATO.
Basically itâ€[emoji769]s a latching relay circuit. When both Float Valves are down (trash can empty) it opens the valve to let the RODI water flow into the can. As the trash can fills the bottom float valve lifts but since the relay has activated it is now completing the circuit that the lower float initiated (latching relay). The trash can will continue to fill until the upper float is raised, killing power to the circuit and resetting the relay. It wonâ€[emoji769]t open the valve again until the water level drops below the bottom float. I made this to replace the $6.00 float in the sump connected directly to my RODI setup that Iâ€[emoji769]ve had for the last year. Mr. Saltwater said it was dangerous as did many of the RRC members. I was told it was also bad for my RODI unit.
12V Relay & 12V 1/4†Solenoid Valve in a Radio Shack Project Box on top of a Wal-Mart Trash can with an Upper & Lower float valve installed.

Drilled for tubing to pass through

Installed a couple BRS ¼†bulkheads on the top of the trash can. One to the solenoid and the other to my ATO Pump.
Picture of it filling.

With cover installed & Pump

Complete

Wiring Schematic

Parts List
1 Radio Shack Project Box $6.50
Project Enclosure (6x4x2) : Project Boxes | RadioShack.com
1 1/4" Electric Solenoid Valve 12-volt Air, Water $16.00
1/4" Electric Solenoid Valve 12-volt Air, Water: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
1 12V SPDT Relay with Harness
Amazon.com: 5 Pack 30/40 AMP Relay Harness Spdt 12V Bosch Style: Automotive
1 12V 2A Power Supply Converter Adapter $7.00
Amazon.com: US plug AC 100-240V To DC 12V 2A Power Supply Converter Adapter for Led Lights Strips: Electronics
2 Liquid Water Level Horizontal Float Switch for Aquarium $4.50ea
Amazon.com: Liquid Water Level Horizontal Float Switch for Aquarium: Home Improvement
2 1/4" Push Connect Bulkhead Tank Adapter $4.00ea
1/4" Push Connect Bulkhead Tank Adapter - Bulk Reef Supply
1 1/4" Clear Acrylic Tube -16" Long $2.50 - Stiff tube to ensure it pulls water from the bottom of the trash can
1/4" Clear Acrylic Tube -16" Long - Bulk Reef Supply
Comments or questions, Let me know.
That's the wonder of these forums.

Over 5 years later, I've used the post to make my own copy of this system. Though I have used horizontal floats as advised in later posts.

Thank you very much!

abalghonaim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone give me more elaboration about wiring since I have zero knowledge about it.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been a fan of doing anything that connects your tank to an unlimited source of water. If my ATO fails in the on position, the most it can do is drain the reservoir. Granted that will dilute the tank (probably to the point of being a problem and/or killing livestock), but it's only going to dump a few gallons tank water on the floor. If the ATO can never run dry, I could potentially have it running all day, which would being a considerably larger problem.

I always figure this is a good place to 'break' automation and require some type of manual intervention. On my ATO, I have a level indicator on the reservoir so I can see it when I walk past it. The RODI filter runs on a timer. When the ATO runs low, it just takes one button push to refill it. To me, the small inconvenience of having to manually turn on the RODI filter is dwarfed by the upside of not having to be as worried about flooding my living room.

If you're going to do this, I'd make sure all your safeties have multiple redundancies. For example, the Tunze 3155 has three. If has an optical level sensor. A mechanical float sensor set a big higher and the controller will shut off the pump if it runs for 10(?) minutes without tripping one of those sensors. However, if my ATO could refill itself, I think I'd still want at least one more safety in the system somewhere. Maybe, for example, a level sensor/smart outlet to cut power to the ATO controller or having the ATO water come through a float valve as a last ditch effort to stop a catastrophic event.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back