Automatic, regular, unattended alkalinity monitoring

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! after watching the video, i'm convinced. Great work Jim!!!
Also those findings about the Kh decaying following the coral and coraline algae manipulation are very interesting. When you have the time i'll be interested to read/hear more about that.

armanslr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't Wait.

I have no problem with a waste reservoir. I think most people wouldn't either. If you were able to make a larger one piece acrylic unit that would house the reagent, rodi water resevoir, as well was waste reservoir, I think that would look the best and be the best for most people's setup. I have a fish room with a sink so I have no problem running the waste water line directly to a drain but I think one unit would look the cleanest IMO.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't Wait.

I have no problem with a waste reservoir. I think most people wouldn't either. If you were able to make a larger one piece acrylic unit that would house the reagent, rodi water resevoir, as well was waste reservoir, I think that would look the best and be the best for most people's setup. I have a fish room with a sink so I have no problem running the waste water line directly to a drain but I think one unit would look the cleanest IMO.

Could be more like a dehumidifier with an internal dump bucket or allow you to bypass it to a floor drain.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap, it took about 12 minutes to register a change from 7 to 11 dkh?!

Hmmm.... Perhaps it's not applicable to emergencies..

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That might be a relatively easy fix instead of pulling only sample amount instead run a waste as long as the sample line would make it much quicker.

Neil Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think speeding it up would require increased amounts of reagent. It gets to the point of diminishing returns. A 5 point drop in 12 minutes is unlikely in a reef aquarium unless you have a big problem caused by a malfunction.

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Come on guys! 12 minutes should be the time I take between going for the test kit, test and store it away. And in a emergency my first thought shouldn't be to known Kh value...

Sharing thoughts regarding the machine I would like to have the reagent reservoir incorporated with a control window, the waste reservoir apart and a tube for getting the osmosis water I'll just use the one in my ATO reservoir.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The instrument was set to read once every ten minutes - it didnt take 12 minutes to register the change, it took 12 minutes to test the samples two times in a row. :D

iLLwiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How quickly can you get to an emergency? do you watch your tank constantly? I personally think 12 minutes is more than acceptable, if your dkh rises that much then unless you are there with fresh salt water ready you are probably screwed already..Just wondering what you currently do to monitor and treat an Alk rise like that in less than 12 minutes as I would like to do the same... A PH alarm maybe would warn you faster but can you actually do anything about it?

Ginu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you had a 5dkh spike in 12 min, there is no way you would know regardless(maybe Ph monitoring might save you... just might if you had a hose in your hand and a very large premade batch of new saltwater)and your sps would most likely be dead or extremely ticked off from such high fluctuation within such short period of time not to mention the time you would eventually catch on...

For the long term monitoring, this is amazing and hope it comes in production. I'd actually like to see a smaller version without a display screen which can be used in conjunction with Apex and at a cheaper price due to smaller and screen-less.

Ginu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't Wait.

Hehe in my case all I would need a reagent container as I can T in from top-off RODI line and I run a Apex DOS to do continuous water changes, meaning I can T in the old saltwater which already runs outside and in the drain. Cant wait and I hope they start a fund campaign for beta purposes :)

deaclauderdale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in....can run the waste line to your skimmate container (if you have one), and pull RO from the top off container.

Here's also to hoping that you tackle continous Calc monitoring as well.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im really curious to see what Jim has to say now that macna is over. I think he was waiting to see the crowd response to see if it would push him over the edge or not to go full speed with this product.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back