Automatic, regular, unattended alkalinity monitoring

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hobby has been waiting for this product for years, please, please, please don't get to excited and reveal anything critical, the vultures will be circling already. I'm certain every single controller manufacturer if not every manufacturer in this hobby will be at your stand this weekend, be very careful to many naive inventors have lost out on great ideas.. Good luck

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a standalone product being tested by a Chinese company. I believe they use a similar method in dosing a reagent and testing it. I am aware of one other company also testing an alk monitor. There is possibly a 3rd company too.

It's very good to such product potentials. Hopefully within a year there will be products on the shelf. :)

Is the reagent used fully safe for corals and fish? Would water changes be required to keep it from accumulating in ones tank? What happens with those tanks that do no water changes?

For sps keepers like myself this is a a great leap forward and I look to see such products on the shelf.

RudyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested now that I build my 150g SPS tank. I do hope that this product makes it to market. It sounds great. But being new to SPS I have done a lot of reading. In just about every article and discussion that I have read or been a part of the one thing that most people agree on is a balance system. Both Alk and Ca are and should always be added in proportion to each other. Making sure that Mg is at a proper level for absorption. I am not a chemist I am a programmer and I would like to know if this would hold true in this case (if so then, would we need to program the controller to does both based on Alk reading?). This takes me to my next thought. Once you have a balanced system and you know what your system is consuming then you just program your dosser to spread out your total consumption for the day over a 24hr period and your levels will always be constant and you will not have a swing. Then you just adjust based on growth and consumption. Am I wrong?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VERY COOL.. So from reading and what you stated it hooks to any BNC connector on a controller. I would guess it will vary its output to emulate a PH probe variance to provide data into a controller system. this way it is not locked into any specific brand. One would just have to konw that that particular input port is actually dKh and not PH.

tagging along here as I am a beta tester for a controller company. this is cool stuff.

Ginu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what to say besides hoping it comes to market at a affordable price point....
I know there are a few people working to bring their product to the market, so hopefully something comes out really soon.

FDAWG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you_are_the_man-969.gif

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic addition to any SPS centric aquarists toolkit.

Looking forward to owning one ;-)

Neil Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read about this one. The guy is pretty secretive about it. I gather that the Taiwan unit doesn't require a reagent but I could be wrong. The Hach APA6000 Analyzer uses reagents but the price tag is $12,501.00!!!

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it Jim!
At this point the price isn't the most important. Most important is having a good and solid product for the market. Look at the dosing machines. With a raspberry pi and some dc engines you could build one for half the price and still use it for controlling whatever you want and browse the Internet.. :)

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love this so much, best wishes for you at MACNA.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back