Automatic tank feeding question

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I may be gone on vacation for a week or two but I have a camera to watch the fish tank and Apex.

My reef tank is in the basement I have a dehumidifier running but it's still a little moist so any automatic feeder that I put in for feeding the tank for a week the pellets get stuck inside the feeder.

I need help in this area.

1) is there a feeder out there that is automatic that will definitely feed the tank automated once a day but without the pellets getting stuck inside?

2) what are some fish food that is heavy and won't float away into the overflow?

Mine is mixed reef with 10 fish including tangs and damsels..

Thx

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the eheim feeder is the best, in my opinion. The cylinder that the pellets go into completely rotates when it feeds, so the pellets will be loosened up. There is even an option to make it rotate twice. I chose this one based on the good reviews online, check it out.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the eheim on vacation, no sticking for me but humidity is not a problem here.

I have been thinking of switching to a plank by avast, wondering if that might serve your needs. Pricey little gizmo though.

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx any other pellets or food that'd sink immediately?

Usually when I manually feeding them I mix it with tank water in a small cup.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the eheim on vacation, no sticking for me but humidity is not a problem here.

I have been thinking of switching to a plank by avast, wondering if that might serve your needs. Pricey little gizmo though.

^This. Fantastic @AVAST Marine feeder is auger based and virtually dead silent. If humidity can enter the barrel, you might be able to add a seal if you need to. The lid is a tight fit, but moisture is moisture!

My tank inhabitants have never been happier with food in the water column. I set mine to dispense for 10 sec every 2 hours.

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx what's the heaviest pellet that'd sink immediately?

Also do vacation food work well for saltwater aquarium that is do they dissolve slowly as the fish eat over several days? I know one exists for freshwater and it looks like a mound.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sometimes I may be gone on vacation for a week or two but I have a camera to watch the fish tank and Apex.

My reef tank is in the basement I have a dehumidifier running but it's still a little moist so any automatic feeder that I put in for feeding the tank for a week the pellets get stuck inside the feeder.

I need help in this area.

1) is there a feeder out there that is automatic that will definitely feed the tank automated once a day but without the pellets getting stuck inside?

2) what are some fish food that is heavy and won't float away into the overflow?

Mine is mixed reef with 10 fish including tangs and damsels..

Thx
The new avast plank feeder works in humidity. The eheim is good but you may get same issue with humidity. My Apex feeder has given me NO issues

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of the $20 Alexa enabled fish feeders off Amazon, that is basically a copy of the eheim feeder, except it's smart/wifi enabled and works via Alexa/Google.
I have it setup to dump the food into a feeding ring, which is right below the feeder. The pellets fall into the feeding ring and stay there until they sink. No pellets in the overflow. Can be set on a timer or you can control it from anywhere you get an internet/wifi signal.

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Issue I have is the feeding ring... Lol other fish get the floating pellets before they soak up and fall...

Tangs never get floating food...

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new avast plank feeder works in humidity. The eheim is good but you may get same issue with humidity. My Apex feeder has given me NO issues
Does apex feeder disperse food into water column like Avast?

I do use apex systems that's why

Ajayabb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the avast feeder for my WB 110 Marine x. I feed a combo of freeze dried mysis, flakes, pellets and Reef Roids. I have it set on a Kasa smart outlet to feed 5 times a day. Has worked flawlessly throughout the entire summer. Makes feeding so much easier. The hopper holds months worth of feedings for me too

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the avast feeder for my WB 110 Marine x. I feed a combo of freeze dried mysis, flakes, pellets and Reef Roids. I have it set on a Kasa smart outlet to feed 5 times a day. Has worked flawlessly throughout the entire summer. Makes feeding so much easier. The hopper holds months worth of feedings for me too

So you've never had any issue with food not being dispersed? It really dispersed into column right like a foot under surface?

What's the correct price though?
Is this the only place to buy from? Thx

Ajayabb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it dispersed near a power head to allow opportunity for my smaller fish to be fed otherwise the food stays in a confined area.

Avast Marine is only source for The plank afaik

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't really take the time to read responses.

I use to own the Apex feeder...but after about 12mos it quit working bc I feel the internal electronics fired bc of salt creep

At $120 for the Apex feed I looked elsewhere

Found this:
130929_MAIN._AC_SY400_V1498745251_.jpg
130929_PT2._AC_SY400_V1500409641_.jpg

Eheim Auto Fish Feeder $25

The thing is a solid performer. So quiet that if you sat 10ft from it, you'd never hear it..

Does the job and at 1/4th the cost of Apex.

Been using it 6mos, flawless.

If it died tmrw I'd immediately buy it again

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using my Apex. I have always used the Apex AFS with no issue. I went to Reefapolooza Orlando 2021 and was down for a week to also visit my Mom. I just set it to feed 3x daily. I had no issues. As far as mixing different size food pellets, I will always recommend a different feeder for the size. I feel that their is NO feeder that will not be subjected to malfunction in this mixed pellet food example, as it is not a reasonable request. ;) :)

skydirt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't really take the time to read responses.

I use to own the Apex feeder...but after about 12mos it quit working bc I feel the internal electronics fired bc of salt creep

At $120 for the Apex feed I looked elsewhere

Found this:
130929_MAIN._AC_SY400_V1498745251_.jpg
130929_PT2._AC_SY400_V1500409641_.jpg

Eheim Auto Fish Feeder $25

The thing is a solid performer. So quiet that if you sat 10ft from it, you'd never hear it..

Does the job and at 1/4th the cost of Apex.

Been using it 6mos, flawless.

If it died tmrw I'd immediately buy it again
I use the same one, have two on different tanks. Been working for 2yrs now

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Avast plank feeder is like 100 bucks more pricey imo hard to bite the bullet

BTW..
Wonder if I can get a wifi model feeder from Amazon and turn on a air stone into feeding ring at the same minute... Lol.

Will that enable pellets to sink in fast so my dumb tangs can get it too...?

Looking for ideas for surface agitation..

What do y'all think?

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back