Automatic Water changes : Oxygenation, poor storage choice?

borillion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been doing water changes using these 5 gallon carboy's for waste water, while mixing and heating NSW a 5 gallon bucket.
I am planning on switching to an automatic water change system but wonder if it would be a concern to store the salt water for up to a week in the carboy. I'm starting to feel this was a bad choice.

Am I going to face oxygenation issues?
Should I drop a small low gph pump in there to keep it agitated along with a small heater?

1606179752804.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presumably an AWC system is changing water slowly? If so, that no concern even if the water is low in O2.

If the mix is aerated going into the container, it should stay oxygenated if there is no organic matter in the mix (avoid those, like Reef Crystals)

No need to close the lid during use either.

OP
OP
borillion

borillion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right the idea was I would mix it in a bucket once a week and transfer to the jug, drop the pump down into the mouth and set it to do a 1 gal water change a day for ~20% a week.

If I recall the "Purple" Instant Ocean mixes do not have organics so I am ok there.

Presumably an AWC system is changing water slowly? If so, that no concern even if the water is low in O2.

If the mix is aerated going into the container, it should stay oxygenated if there is no organic matter in the mix (avoid those, like Reef Crystals)

No need to close the lid during use either.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep 60 gallons of mixed saltwater and 60 of rodi water in my garage. Any type of food grade container with a tight lid will be sufficient. It lasts me a month. I use instant ocean and the parameters only shift slightly if at all over the course of the month. I do have to watch for evaporation during the summer but other than that I haven't had any issues.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To tack on, I suppose evaporation isn't a worry, what about dropping a heater in there too?

The IO should be fine.

How much does your AWC change at once (% of aquarium volume)?

I never heated mine, but it was slow changing. Only concern with heating is damaging the plastic as the level dropped or the heater sat right on it, and possibly driving more precipitation of calcium carbonate.

OP
OP
borillion

borillion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be around 3% a day.
The IO should be fine.

How much does your AWC change at once (% of aquarium volume)?

I never heated mine, but it was slow changing. Only concern with heating is damaging the plastic as the level dropped or the heater sat right on it, and possibly driving more precipitation of calcium carbonate.

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix mine in 45 gallon food grade “garbage cans” and only mix new water like once every three weeks with no issues. I keep the lid on with notches for tubes and haven’t had any issues with evaporation or otherwise. I can’t imagine the return pump, skimmer don’t do enough aeration even if the AWC water loses some oxygenation

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. I up-sold myself from IO purple to RC based on the organic pixie dust, and will feel pangs of guilt with each water change until this box is used up and I can switch back to IO purple.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. I up-sold myself from IO purple to RC based on the organic pixie dust, and will feel pangs of guilt with each water change until this box is used up and I can switch back to IO purple.
nothing wrong with reef crystals, just a bunch of brand bashers, use driveway salt if you want no maybe not but r.c is not the worst thing you can do to your aquarium believe this!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back