Automating KH and Calcium testing and dosing in an AIO

Daktari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

We have an AIO LPS dominant reef tank (45G or 170L, Red Sea Max-E 170, with a back sump) which is doing good.
The growth of the corals has been really kicking in since we test daily KH and often Calcium (couple o' times a week), accordingly adapting dosing of these elements. NO3, PO4, Mg and Ph are measured 2 times a week (2 times to check if there isn't a measure error).
We dose (with an automatic doser) the Red Sea Foundation A (Ca), B (KH) and Nopox (carbon source) on a daily base. Once weekly we dose the Red Sea trace colors A, B, C and D in function of the calcium consumption (Red Sea recipe).
Water change about 20% each 2-3 weeks (Red Sea Coral pro, but we will change to Red Sea blue bucket).

When we're on holiday (max. 2-3 weeks), there is no testing and thus no dosing adaptation. That worries us for eventual drifting of the KH and Calcium concentrations during our absence. There's a person who comes to feed the fish, empty the skimmer cup and check the water level (we have an ATO with a big RODI water reservoir), but we can't ask for more.
Are there people who automated KH testing and dosing and Calcium testing and dosing on an AIO tank? I think that if we would automate testing and dosing of at least KH and maybe consider Calcium auto testing in a second time if necessary, it would be more of a reassurance when we're on vacation. We're aware that things can go wrong with automatic testers also, but can it reduce the risks significantly?

What is your experience with automatic testing/dosing on an AIO tank?

KH and Calcium appear to us as the 2 most important chemical parameters, with stability of KH being the most important of the 2, at least in our experience.
Those automatic testers have a high upfront cost, but if it could save corals it would pay off in the long run.
We were thinking of an Alkatronic for instance, or maybe a KH keeper or Keeper Plus. We could hang it on the wall behind the tank (taking into account the maximum height between the water source and the automatic tester). The trustworthiness plays a role, also the ease to get reagents and spare parts and have a good customer service (we live in Belgium, Europe). Standalone function, user friendliness, and being able to follow-up the measurements and dosing via smartphone while abroad would be a plus. I we could put a system in the cabinet under the tank, that would be a plus too). PS: there is no sump under the cabinet, the water to test wil have to come from the back sump.

Happy reefing!

Last edited:

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AIO and yea testing is important. most people go with Apex tridents for testing and dosing. It seems to be the most popular. there are other systems out there like mastertronic, reef kinetics reefbot, ect.
It really is going to be based on how much money you want to spend, what you want to test, and how to dose.

As for me, I manual test twice week with hanna, and I use All-for-reef and calcium. I have a 40 gal AIO and AFR has kept things stable for me, even when I am gone. That was not without alot of testing and monitoring in the beginning to make sure I get the dosing right.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can't help with the automation and auto testing. I just installed my first dosing pump (reefdose 2) I have been manually dosing for several years.
I doubt your daily usage is going to change enough in 3 weeks to make much of a difference in the amount dosed. I dose 2 part in two tanks stocked fairly heavy with growing sps frags and do have to adjust the dosage as coral grow but not often enough that it would be critical for a 3 week period.
I would be more concerned with equipment failure than consumption increase or decrease.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back