Avast ATO Setup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't quite figure out how to accomplish my ATO setup fully. I'd like to set it up as follows:

1. Use Avast ATO as main - This is easy
2. Use my GHL float switch for water too high if Avast ATO doesn't shut off - No problem
3. Use the optical sensor set below the Avast pressure tube to kick on the ATO pump in case the tube sensor gets stuck in the off position or just doesn't work

How do I accomplish #3 since the pump doesn't turn on until the pressure tube control box calls for it? Or is this just not possible?

Sandbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the fence between the Tunze 3155 or the Avast ATO. Can you please tell me why you picked the Avast? I just recently purchased into the GHL products. Thank you

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the pressure tube aspect of the Avast. I am setting up with a float and optic sensor but those are backups. Plus the reviews seemed good

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Avast has a digital pressure switch box that will be here tomorrow. This basically gives me what I want but I have some questions on how to program 3 sensors.

I can set the optical and float sensors under the 2 sensor min/max control section which should turn the ATO socket on and off. I'm not sure how to tie the main avast sensor into the programmable logic to turn the socket on and off as well. I know there is an OR function but could use a little help with the details please and thank you.

Last edited:

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Tunze ATO for years without issue. It may have timed out once from other issues. I do turn it off at 1am everyday to reset it for more of a safety measure. I also use industrial PULS 12v power supply as these are likely weak link in system.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no help on setting up the failsafes, but I can say I have been using the same Avast ATO since 2017 without a single issue. It has never failed off or on. It was in fact the only ATO on the market that had zero negative reviews. And I did a crap ton of reading before I purchased it. Their customer service is top notch also. That’s the beauty of a pressure tube and switch. No optical sensors to keep clean. No floats to get stuck. It’s not effected by water movement running through the sump either. The diaphragm pump is a workhorse also. Tremendous head capabilities. I like it so much, I bought another for my new tank. Not saying one couldn’t fail, but never heard of it happening. If mine failed on, my ATO reservoir isn’t big enough to overflow the sump. And 10 gallons isn’t enough to change the salinity by much anyways. I’m curious to see what you figure out!

Last edited:

Saltysailors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no help on setting up the failsafes, but I can say I have been using the same Avast ATO since 2017 without a single issue. It has never failed off or on. It was in fact the only ATO on the market that had zero negative reviews. And I did a crap ton of reading before I purchase it. Their customer service is top notch also. That’s the beauty of a pressure tube and switch. No optical sensors to keep clean. No floats to get stuck. It’s not effected by water movement running through the sump either. The diaphragm pump is a workhorse also. Tremendous head capabilities. I like it so much, I bought another for my new tank. Not saying one couldn’t fail, but never heard of it happening. If mine failed on, my ATO reservoir isn’t big enough to overflow the sump. And 10 gallons isn’t enough to change the salinity by much anyways. I’m curious to see what you figure out!
Cheers man! im glad i went with them, their customer service is another great thing about it. I'm in Canada, so only a matter of time til i receive it!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back