Avoiding cross contamination

Mindblock769

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my DT and 2 QT tanks, one for coral and one for fish.

I have 2 20gal tubs. One always for fresh salt and other for waste only. Dedicated pump for fresh salt, but I only have one pump dedicated removing water from the tanks. Do I need a WC pump dedicated to each tank?

Do you ever wash lines/pumps/anything with tap water?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my DT and 2 QT tanks, one for coral and one for fish.

I have 2 20gal tubs. One always for fresh salt and other for waste only. Dedicated pump for fresh salt, but I only have one pump dedicated removing water from the tanks. Do I need a WC pump dedicated to each tank?

Do you ever wash lines/pumps/anything with tap water?

I do try to have dedicated tank tools for each quarantine tank or DT. However, that gets expensive if you also get dedicated transfer pumps!

Washing with tap water helps, but may not totally eliminate that as a vector, especially if it has been used in a system with an active disease. Tap water rinse and then air dry is better, sterilizing with a 500 ppm bleach solution is even better (but needs to be rinsed out REALLY well).

Here is my recent article on biosecurity:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/biosecurity.812/

Jay

KCPhil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do try to have dedicated tank tools for each quarantine tank or DT. However, that gets expensive if you also get dedicated transfer pumps!

Washing with tap water helps, but may not totally eliminate that as a vector, especially if it has been used in a system with an active disease. Tap water rinse and then air dry is better, sterilizing with a 500 ppm bleach solution is even better (but needs to be rinsed out REALLY well).

Here is my recent article on biosecurity:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/biosecurity.812/

Jay
Hi Jay,

I read the article you linked. I am familiar with most of the concepts/methods you mentioned.

I have a DT and a fish QT and a coral QT. Is washing my hands with soap and water enough to keep from cross contaminating? Like when I feed. I worry that I might be transporting disease or pathogens between tanks. Or when I do maintenance on multiple tanks in one day.

TIA

Phil

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

I read the article you linked. I am familiar with most of the concepts/methods you mentioned.

I have a DT and a fish QT and a coral QT. Is washing my hands with soap and water enough to keep from cross contaminating? Like when I feed. I worry that I might be transporting disease or pathogens between tanks. Or when I do maintenance on multiple tanks in one day.

TIA

Phil
Good question! I actually avoid soap and water prior to working on tanks, I’m always worried about soap residue. Some people wear gloves and change them between tanks. I rinse my hands in hot tap water and call it good….
Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back