AWC does the new water container need a powerhead?

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2019
Messages
20,684
Reaction score
33,627
Location
Ashland Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my first AWC and wondering if I need a powerhead in the new water container. I'll be doing 4g daily and refilling the container every 7 days.

PS I'll be premixing the water in a separate brute and rotating the containers every 7 days.
 
I can't answer if it is or isn't needed but I do run a power head in mine 24/7 as i feel keeping it mixed is better

When I make the mix I run RO up to temp and then mix salt. Keep the powerhead going but turn off the heater.
 
If it does then I’ve been doing it wrong for years…..

I do have a pump in there but it’s only on to mix salt after I dump it in. It runs for about 6 hours (fully mixed) then it’s off until I add more salt. The bin stays still for about 32 days as the awc draws. Then it fills with rodi and I need to add salt.
 
You don't need a powerhead in your container. Once it is mixed it isn't going to get unmixed. The only thing that it would do is aerate the water, but that is unnecessary since you are then going to pump it into your tank and it doesn't have anything living in it.
 
I don’t use a powerhead to continuously stir. I mix mine, then use 1/2 of the container over about 3 weeks. Then mix up more.

I use IO.
 
Best to mix it for 24 hours, then turn off the pump. Once mixed, you are good.
This sounds like a good plan and pretty much how I've been mixing already. I use IO and have not had any problems mixing for 24 hours. I was hoping I wouldn't need to keep it mixing to make swapping the brute containers out easier. I've been letting it sit for days now but have been circulating it right before using it for WCs but more out of habbit than for any particular reason.
 
This sounds like a good plan and pretty much how I've been mixing already. I use IO and have not had any problems mixing for 24 hours. I was hoping I wouldn't need to keep it mixing to make swapping the brute containers out easier. I've been letting it sit for days now but have been circulating it right before using it for WCs but more out of habbit than for any particular reason.
I had my mixing pump on my controller and had it mix water for 30 minutes before AWC kicked in each day. Stopped doing that a couple of months ago with no issue.
 
I do my AWC Friday - Sunday only. My SW holding container autofills with RO Monday morning and then I add salt. My mixing pump runs twice per day for 15 mins, but it's certainly not needed once the salt is mixed. I keep my house at 71 so I've found that running my pump for 30 mins per day keeps the water in my container right at 76. Hope that helps. AWC are the best!
 
Assuming it is not one of the few salt mixes with added organic matter, there is no benefit to stirring after the initial mixing. I do not do so.
 
IO purple which I believe is what you use or used?

It has no organic matter added and I would not stir it after mixing. I also would not heat it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new