AWC final check

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up my AWC system this weekend. I just want to make sure I have everything I need.
What I have:
Dõs
200 feet of tubing for the Dõs
200 gallon salt mix
100 gallon saltwater storage container
Power head for mixing the saltwater
Place for the old saltwater to drain
RODI system
Am I missing anything?
Thanks!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You forgot patience and a 12 pack of your favorite beverage ;)

Be sure to post pics about your experience!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a heater for your water change container? Obviously it depends on how much you are changing at one time and the size of your tank. I keep a pump and heater in my saltwater.....I also do continuous water changes all day long though.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a heater for your water change container? Obviously it depends on how much you are changing at one time and the size of your tank. I keep a pump and heater in my saltwater.....I also do continuous water changes all day long though.
2 gallons a aday, 250 gallons of water in the tank.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 gallons a aday, 250 gallons of water in the tank.

If you are using a dos which changes water throughout the day then I would say no heater needed. I have a heater in my saltwater holding tank but I only turn it on if I know I’ll be pulling a lot of salt out for something. For example I’m setting up a quarantine tank later today so I turned the heater on this morning so I can just add water and it’s ready to go.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using a dos which changes water throughout the day then I would say no heater needed. I have a heater in my saltwater holding tank but I only turn it on if I know I’ll be pulling a lot of salt out for something. For example I’m setting up a quarantine tank later today so I turned the heater on this morning so I can just add water and it’s ready to go.
Makes sense. I am using a DOS. My salt will be here Tuesday and my storage tank(I got a bigger one, 200 gallons) will be here on Wednesday. I hope this goes well!

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a dos to change out 2-3 gallons a night (midnight to 8am) for my 100g system. i dont use a heater and my apex never registers a "change" in temp. my water is in my basement and the brutes keep the water at a toasty 61 degrees compared to my tank at 79

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a dos to change out 2-3 gallons a night (midnight to 8am) for my 100g system. i dont use a heater and my apex never registers a "change" in temp. my water is in my basement and the brutes keep the water at a toasty 61 degrees compared to my tank at 79
Wow! How much storage do you have for water?
How often do you refil your saltwater?

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
each can holds about 30g of water so not a ton, i havnt found a good deal on a larger water tank yet. i have one brute hold new salt water and the other holds fresh RODI. i fill about every 12-14 days. my rodi is split into 2 lines and i fill them at the same time. i go through about that much in evaporation in the same time period.

currently getting back up to 2g a night, i had a dino outbreak from the tank being too clean so i lowered my AWC percentage to dirty things up a bit. i might stay at 1g/night, less mixing :p

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
each can holds about 30g of water so not a ton, i havnt found a good deal on a larger water tank yet. i have one brute hold new salt water and the other holds fresh RODI. i fill about every 12-14 days. my rodi is split into 2 lines and i fill them at the same time. i go through about that much in evaporation in the same time period.

currently getting back up to 2g a night, i had a dino outbreak from the tank being too clean so i lowered my AWC percentage to dirty things up a bit. i might stay at 1g/night, less mixing :p
Yeah. I got a 200 gallon tank so I could do 2 gallons a day (1%) and have ~3 months between each refill. I might do 3 or 4 gallons and drop it down to once every 1.5-2. Months.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I got a 200 gallon tank so I could do 2 gallons a day (1%) and have ~3 months between each refill. I might do 3 or 4 gallons and drop it down to once every 1.5-2. Months.

The nice thing with the storage tanks is making salt is easy as well so even if you have to make it monthly all you do is add a set amount of RODI then add a matching amount of salt. I then test the next day and adjust by adding more water or salt.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nice thing with the storage tanks is making salt is easy as well so even if you have to make it monthly all you do is add a set amount of RODI then add a matching amount of salt. I then test the next day and adjust by adding more water or salt.
Yeah. I like the idea of 50 gallons, because 4 bags of salt makes 200 gallons.
I just add the salt, and fill up the tank and I’m done. (Salt is sold in 200 gallon boxes)

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I like the idea of 50 gallons, because 4 bags of salt makes 200 gallons.
I just add the salt, and fill up the tank and I’m done. (Salt is sold in 200 gallon boxes)

I don’t like letting the salt run all the way out I usually add more when my storage tank is at about 25-30% this way if I need to do a large water change or set up an emergency qt I always have some saltwater ready

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used NSW and so I have never done a WC with salt mix.
Do I need to heat the water for the salt to dissolve?
Ambient temp is 63 degrees

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%

Back