AWC for 300g with remote water station

RuuToo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect- and you have it set so that the extra water coming in from the main tank AWC just displaces old water over the overflow into the drain?

I’m going to try this on my frag tank. I was looking at a long return and supply loop since it is 40 feet away from the sump, and there are several doors etc in the way.

This way- I can have a 3/8 line put AWC water into the tank, and put the excess down the drain 4 feet away.
Yup. Exactly. You are isolating the system (since there's no movement of water "backwards" to the main system), and creating stability through a potentially pretty huge daily water change (relative to the volume in the smaller system). You may have to do top-off into your frag tank, depending upon how large it is - you have to be doing some hefty water change volume (40-50% in my case) before you can avoid ATO altogether

It's fascinating being able to create a different "mindset" for that tank though. Want to dose tons of phyto/other smaller food? Go nuts - massive water change will save you from worrying about nutrient buildup, and since the flow through the tank is super slow whatever you put in there will stay there for ages. Want to keep that non photosynthetic coral/filter feeder that doesn't do well unless it's got tons of food? It's now a biological filter in a heavy nutrient environment.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Exactly. You are isolating the system (since there's no movement of water "backwards" to the main system), and creating stability through a potentially pretty huge daily water change (relative to the volume in the smaller system). You may have to do top-off into your frag tank, depending upon how large it is - you have to be doing some hefty water change volume (40-50% in my case) before you can avoid ATO altogether

It's fascinating being able to create a different "mindset" for that tank though. Want to dose tons of phyto/other smaller food? Go nuts - massive water change will save you from worrying about nutrient buildup, and since the flow through the tank is super slow whatever you put in there will stay there for ages. Want to keep that non photosynthetic coral/filter feeder that doesn't do well unless it's got tons of food? It's now a biological filter in a heavy nutrient environment.
Funny you mention that because that tank will be a filter feeder biotope with coco worms, feather dusters, tube anemones, barnacles, and a couple clams.

I’ll probably run a small sump on it for a skimmer since I want a bunch of anthias and chromis in there, and they’ll need a
Bunch of feeding.

man, I’m excited about this part of the build. Your info has literally changed how I approach the plumbing, and allows this tank to be a reality.

thanks man!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back