Awkward question

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds wierd but the soon to mrs. brought up a good point ..... I have a portable USB microscope that I use for categorizing zoas and palys at home because I do like to leave the biology dept sometimes. We had the idea to bring It down to the swap and let people put there corals under it and take a look up close and for the paranoid few look for flatworms....haha ( too soon?) wanted the groups opinion to see if I should pick it.

Morgan

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds wierd but the soon to mrs. brought up a good point ..... I have a portable USB microscope that I use for categorizing zoas and palys at home because I do like to leave the biology dept sometimes. We had the idea to bring It down to the swap and let people put there corals under it and take a look up close and for the paranoid few look for flatworms....haha ( too soon?) wanted the groups opinion to see if I should pick it.

Morgan
If you want to bring it along I see no reason not to.
Bill

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be aware there is risk of damage...not a bad idea although I dip everything that is safe to dip...just good hygiene. I just wouldn't want you to have your generosity abused..there are allot of people who move through the swap.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I see good and bad about it. good because I want to konw that the corals I buy are PEST free before I put them in my tank. Bad because I can see someone getting flamed badly from a buyer if they bought something infected and it was found at the show. (dont buy from that guy, his stuff is infected) etc...

as a seller, I would want that person to come to me FIRST to tell me my stuff is infected. I know Bart, Josh and I regularly check corals we swap around for pests and cover each others back if we can.

For me, I Dip in CoralRX PRO EVERY SINGLE CORAL that goes into my tank. No exceptions EVER.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I see good and bad about it. good because I want to konw that the corals I buy are PEST free before I put them in my tank. Bad because I can see someone getting flamed badly from a buyer if they bought something infected and it was found at the show. (dont buy from that guy, his stuff is infected) etc...

as a seller, I would want that person to come to me FIRST to tell me my stuff is infected. I know Bart, Josh and I regularly check corals we swap around for pests and cover each others back if we can.

For me, I Dip in CoralRX PRO EVERY SINGLE CORAL that goes into my tank. No exceptions EVER.
Finding Pests on anything sold at the Swap is a positive action that will help to keep unwanted problems from being introduced. Anyone that would sell unhealthy specimens I'm sure would not do this knowingly and would prefeer to know if there was a problem with their Items anyway!!!
Bill

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Bill, but dont see it as something that needs to be club sponsored on this.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Bill, but don't see it as something that needs to be club sponsored on this.
I don't see where sponsorship comes in play here at all?? People can bring what they want to the Swap and the Scope would not be an exception, Misuse of said results would be another matter completely though. I see it only in a positive light meant to prevent missed pests that can be devastating to any system they are added to inadvertently. It's all good the way i see it there are no negatives IME
Bill

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sponsorship issue probably comes up when you ask "Where's he gonna put it?" Is he going to have to buy a table, keep it outside, or what?

Brandon

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sponsorship issue probably comes up when you ask "Where's he gonna put it?" Is he going to have to buy a table, keep it outside, or what?

Brandon
Honestly, This is getting Quite Silly IMO I could make the same argument about NOT having it there and Say we are Guilty of not checking for Quality Pest free Vendors.
If you do not want to use it just don't, And if you do then use it Simple............
Bill

OP
OP
R

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry if I stirred up a hornets nest and I apologize if I did. I was just trying to be neighborly/ science geek an give people a chance to see a closer view of the hobby, and allow people to use tools they may not have access to at home. I intended in no way to put the club between a rock and a hard place with coral vendors/ patrons.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry if I stirred up a hornets nest and I apologize if I did. I was just trying to be neighborly/ science geek an give people a chance to see a closer view of the hobby, and allow people to use tools they may not have access to at home. I intended in no way to put the club between a rock and a hard place with coral vendors/ patrons.
Not at all, If you bring the Scope people that want to will use it.
Bill

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, This is getting Quite Silly IMO I could make the same argument about NOT having it there and Say we are Guilty of not checking for Quality Pest free Vendors.
If you do not want to use it just don't, And if you do then use it Simple............
Bill

All I'm saying is why it could be a sponsorship issue. :) IE, possibly why Lindsey is concerned. I'm not arguing it either way.

No way, man. You've not stirred a hornets nest. :) Sounds like you have a green light to bring it! Personally, I think its great when people are able to bring their professional lives into reefing a bit, especially for the better of the community.

Brandon

mrcoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be happy to buy a half table and have full bottle of coralRX for any one that wants to dip at the swap. That sounds like a good thing to do. I am surprised that I have not seen that at a swap. There would natrually need to be extra containers for dipping and extra water there for this process. If there is intrest in this we could do it. I would think that keeping the station in water would be difficult.

Just an idea

mrcoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not making an endorsement for any product or process nor would I be saying that it would keep pests out of your tank. But it is a good will gesture that might be nice. We could setup the microscope there and post pictures of some bugs for informational purposes.

This is another idea for the swap we could have them on the same table

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not making an endorsement for any product or process nor would I be saying that it would keep pests out of your tank. But it is a good will gesture that might be nice. We could setup the microscope there and post pictures of some bugs for informational purposes.

This is another idea for the swap we could have them on the same table
Sponsorship concerns aside (meaning I am not talking to that point at all), I think Mr. Coffee has a fabulous value add Idea. I have a small bottle of reef dip I would be willing to donate to this as well. I don;t know if the logistics are sound, but a sign with an approach that alleviates concerns ( promoting good husbandry and understanding of what pests really mean) is a positive hobby educational thing!
Here is what I mean by a sign:

"Although we all strive to keep unwanted pests out of our tanks, corals and fish are largely gathered in the wild and these other creatures that we as hobbyists don't desire are a part of nature. Any tank with live rock and corals harvested from the sea have a chance of containing a pest. Coral Dipping is a great hygiene practice to help minimize the introduction of a pest. If you like, we have provided a dipping station for your use at your own behest."

Now this is only off the top of my head wording and I am sure we could fluff it up (I can if the BOD and Lindsey want)".

A possible con of this is putting the frags in water that may not exactly match the tank the just came out of, but a dip does promote healing too. Just throwing a thought out there, nothing more.
Cheers!

mrcoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds great. I like the idea of some pictures of pests or the damage they do like the bases of sps, undersides of monticap etc.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back