Axolotl and rocks?

Terrorizer777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So question if anyone has a Axolotl or had knowledge with them I know sometimes sand can mess up their stomachs and I feel gravel is almost the same way. So could I by any chance put small rocks in the tank? Some like these?
image.jpg

OP
OP
T

Terrorizer777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed no sand would be good for him because he’s so small now. What sand would you consider to be Fine sand? I really just want it so the tank doesn’t look as bad because every now and again bloodworms get stuck somewhere and I gotta clean it often. He’s 3 inches last a checked and this is what he looks like if that’s even needed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
T

Terrorizer777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand is their natural habitat... even the babies grow up with a sandy substrate...
A very good point but at the same time. If the Axolotl swallows sand it can’t digest it could possibly kill it. And I’d rather not risk his health for decor.

flyguy13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always used Carib sea crystal river sand, would never use gravel. Also never heard of them not being able to digest sand, they can pass it just fine.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use the river rocks that are too large for our axolotl to swallow. You can buy them at the pet store.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very good point but at the same time. If the Axolotl swallows sand it can’t digest it could possibly kill it. And I’d rather not risk his health for decor.
I mean, I'd read this and decide. It states sand cannot cause digestive impaction, so...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back