Axolotls (Mexican Walking Fish)

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gf keeps the house cool year round, so no chiller is needed for me. Tank water is about 64°f on a hot day.
They do not like a lot of flow, so I use a standard "whisper" filter for a 20g

40% Water changes every other week with tap

They have no teeth, (Toothless)

They swim around from time to time. My black is a more active swimmer than my gold, she prefers to just walk around

Other than feeding, they just chill. I hand feed them both. They snatch the worms with ferocity. But just as quickly as they get it, it's gone and they go back to big chilling
Wow nice. You said they already laid eggs?

OP
OP
Chefwheredyougo

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep if you look at one of the pics, you can see about 30 along the rim of their "cave ". Theres also some on the WHITE sand bed that I didn't want. She'll lay more than 1000 over the next day or 2. Then they will hatch. Luckily, I already have a 10g cycled that was going to be my hospital tank for cichlids. I'll be moving the eggs as I see them into that tank before they hatch. They love nothing more than their own fry

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep if you look at one of the pics, you can see about 30 along the rim of their "cave ". Theres also some on the WHITE sand bed that I didn't want. She'll lay more than 1000 over the next day or 2. Then they will hatch. Luckily, I already have a 10g cycled that was going to be my hospital tank for cichlids. I'll be moving the eggs as I see them into that tank before they hatch. They love nothing more than their own fry
haha do you plan on raising them and keeping them or selling them?

OP
OP
Chefwheredyougo

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a LFS that's willing to trade for some OG bounces. Then I'll probably donate the remaining to whomever wants them. I'll probably keep 1 or 2 for the kiddos but who knows

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I was thinking!
Aww i wish I could’ve bought a few from you. Literally like every other state makes it legal to keep except New Jersey and a few others. I heard it’s because these states have wild species similar to them and are afraid they will interbreed.

OP
OP
Chefwheredyougo

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww i wish I could’ve bought a few from you. Literally like every other state makes it legal to keep except New Jersey and a few others. I heard it’s because these states have wild species similar to them and are afraid they will interbreed.

I would have gladly given you a few hundred haha

OP
OP
Chefwheredyougo

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a newt when I was around my kids age. I've loved animals ever since. Tried my hand with snakes. I didn't feel I was a good enough keeper with my constant struggles of hearing the enclosure and keeping up with the humidity, so I had to admit defeat and donate her this year. To replace her, I started my first reef, and got this two dolls. So far so good on both fronts!

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a newt when I was around my kids age. I've loved animals ever since. Tried my hand with snakes. I didn't feel I was a good enough keeper with my constant struggles of hearing the enclosure and keeping up with the humidity, so I had to admit defeat and donate her this year. To replace her, I started my first reef, and got this two dolls. So far so good on both fronts!
Nice, any newt quick stats for me lol?

Back