OP
Chefwheredyougo

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some fascinating creatures, unfortunately, no pet shops in my area carry them.
Congrats on such achievement

Thanks. Not successful yet. The hard part is about to begin rearing the fry. If that's successful I can try to send some to people if they cover shipping costs

OP
OP
Chefwheredyougo

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We decides to keep 35 of them to rear. 5 days in, they are starting to take on the tadpole stage. It also appears that all of these will be some type of albino, like their mother. In about 1 week, they will be free swimming. We also have the brine shrimp hatchery up and running and ready for them.

15746877811522567196057508213474.jpg

OP
OP
Chefwheredyougo

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New update, we're about ~4 days out until the hatching begins. We've lost 3 that did not make it out of the first stage. A few of these guys have colored up, looks like 2 or 3 will be wild (black) coloration, mostly still albinos, and a few that may have spotted colors of albino and wild. Lots of movement in this sacs

20191203_101056.jpg

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted one of these guys. I may eventually turn the gold fish tank into an axolotl tank. One question do they need a chiller?

OP
OP
Chefwheredyougo

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted one of these guys. I may eventually turn the gold fish tank into an axolotl tank. One question do they need a chiller?

It depends. The water needs to be less than 72... my ambient temp in house is around 69 water temp is about 68 without a heater. I would reccomend one, but I personally don't use one because the house is so cold.

Nope a Swampert. :p
Forgot about swampert. He's definitely the closest lol

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a breeding pair myself, feed them a mix of worms,minnows and pellets. One is an albino and one a luci. They had layed a couple hundred eggs I first batch, and take about 10-14 days to hatch, warmer water equals faster hatching. I had containers of daphnia shrimp going as soon as I could find them. As babies they are cannibalistic, so watch for that, managed to have 41 babies live 2 weeks from hatching. Amazing creatures. Enjoy!

OP
OP
Chefwheredyougo

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a breeding pair myself, feed them a mix of worms,minnows and pellets. One is an albino and one a luci. They had layed a couple hundred eggs I first batch, and take about 10-14 days to hatch, warmer water equals faster hatching. I had containers of daphnia shrimp going as soon as I could find them. As babies they are cannibalistic, so watch for that, managed to have 41 babies live 2 weeks from hatching. Amazing creatures. Enjoy!

Great tips thank you! I didn't know about the warmer water thing. She laid hundreds of eggs as well. I knew I didn't have a setup to rear that many, so some became cichlid and marine betta food. ;Sorry However, now my lfs that's buying this clutch said he'd buy everyone I bring to him in the future as well so I guess I'll use this spare 55 for that. As far as the current situation, I think I'm going to separate them all into disposable shot glasses or something. I read that if fed well it'll curb that voracious appetite. I have baby brine shrimp ready to hatch in about a day. So hopefully they enjoy those.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back