Azure Damsel Growth Rate?

SquattingSnail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! In my haste to get fish into my aquarium, I ended up ordering 5 azure damsels from ORA through liveaquaria. I made the mistake and didnt look at the ship size. That being said I have 5 1/2" baby damsels and 1.5" orchid dottyback for my 210 gallon aquarium. I ended up putting the damsels in a Tupperware with holes and foam to float around the top, as I am worried they would get lost. The million dollar question is if I feed heavy what is the growth rate of these little guys?

20210310_122604.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, they are among the best ‘stay-small’ Damsels you can get. If you’re worried that each will get (for example) the size of your thumb, no way. 5 in a 210 gallon tank will be beautiful. :)

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are they doing? I just got some too and worried they will get sucked up a power head!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think mine were pretty darn small too. If you have a smaller tank to give them space yet comfort of hiding and such till they grow a bit, could work. I have 6 in my 210, but started with 9. Two died in qt (within 24 hours) last was day three. All the rest are still strong and they top out about now at maybe 2". Great fish.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think mine were pretty darn small too. If you have a smaller tank to give them space yet comfort of hiding and such till they grow a bit, could work. I have 6 in my 210, but started with 9. Two died in qt (within 24 hours) last was day three. All the rest are still strong and they top out about now at maybe 2". Great fish.
Thanks. I just got 10 captive bred and QT already. They are about 1/2” maybe 3/4.

I have a 20 long setup for coral QT that they could go in. It’s pretty low flow.
My DT is 300.
So you think they will be ok with power heads?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be fine with powerheads as long as they are not crazy large. A 20L will be great for them. They will need lots of places to hide too. If you cover that, they should grow great and pretty fast too.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be fine with powerheads as long as they are not crazy large. A 20L will be great for them. They will need lots of places to hide too. If you cover that, they should grow great and pretty fast too.
Thanks.

I have two Stream 3 In my DT that I could certainly crank way down too. Think they’d be ok with these? There are no foam covers.

All my SPS got wiped out last year from a Dino outbreak so no need for high flow right now.

my 20L has two koralia 240 which wouldn’t cause me concern. Very gentle.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Stream 3s and a Tunze 6250 in my 210g, so it will be fine when they are larger. I have no covers either. They stay down in the rocks mostly. Hover and cover fish. Pretty though.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! In my haste to get fish into my aquarium, I ended up ordering 5 azure damsels from ORA through liveaquaria. I made the mistake and didnt look at the ship size. That being said I have 5 1/2" baby damsels and 1.5" orchid dottyback for my 210 gallon aquarium. I ended up putting the damsels in a Tupperware with holes and foam to float around the top, as I am worried they would get lost. The million dollar question is if I feed heavy what is the growth rate of these little guys?

20210310_122604.jpg
Yeah I ordered 3 of those guys. One DOA one dead two days later. The third one is doing well. They grow like weeds, mine has doubled in a month but obviously they are small. I feed TDO and mysis daily. He's a little potbelly fatty.

Sooner or later I'll order another two.

Mime is in a 90g with two sw15 running 80% or so. Flow isn't an issue, they are fast and darty.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back