Azure Damsel bullied by the entire tank

Rusty Baldwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have had my tank up and running for about four months now. 75 gallon with refuge.

Snails
Crabs
5 anemones
1 tomato clown
1 Giant Maroon Clown
1 Watchman goby
3 Azure
1 Cleaner Shrimp

Everyone was happy until Monday. Everyone in the entire tank started trying to kill this one Azure Damsel. They did a pretty good number on her fins etc. I removed her and put her in the refuge for now. I will move her over to the quarantine tank this afternoon.

My question is WHY? Why this one fish? Is it because she may be sick? Is it the way of they hand weak fish?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a good chance it has a problem that developed and the other fish figured it out. I'd point out your system is still pretty new and fish behavior will change as fish mature and acclimate to a system. Problems can develop months to years after fish have been together and an aquarist should always be prepared to rehome fish. Just FYI, I'd expect issues to develop at some point between your maroon and tomato.

OP
OP
R

Rusty Baldwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a good chance it has a problem that developed and the other fish figured it out. I'd point out your system is still pretty new and fish behavior will change as fish mature and acclimate to a system. Problems can develop months to years after fish have been together and an aquarist should always be prepared to rehome fish. Just FYI, I'd expect issues to develop at some point between your maroon and tomato.
That issue has developed for sure. The tomato has killed every tomato we’ve put in there. This Maroon came along so I got it so that it would survive the tomato. She handles herself well against the tomato because she is so large. She is right at six inches.

Thank you for the input and advise. I will put her in the other tank and see how she does.

Attachments

• IMG_5093.jpeg
    IMG_5093.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5094.jpeg
    IMG_5094.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5091.jpeg
    IMG_5091.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 38

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I already know the clowns are the prime candidates. I would place azure in an acclimation box allowing the other fish to observe and get accustomed to it for a week or two and try release again

OP
OP
R

Rusty Baldwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if two of the damsels started after the 3rd and the other fish followed after it had some injury? Just speculating as I know sometimes groups of 3 fish do not end well
I am hoping this is the case. One of the Azure messes with the Maroon constantly. I suspect he is the culprit. She is in quarantine and eating well. She was beat up badly.

OP
OP
R

Rusty Baldwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of aggressive fish in the same tank. Problems are bound to arise IMO.
Totally agree. I am working on my fourth tank as we speak. Now that the Azure is out of there, everyone is peaceful again. I am limited on the fish I can put in there due to the anemones.

OP
OP
R

Rusty Baldwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already know the clowns are the prime candidates. I would place azure in an acclimation box allowing the other fish to observe and get accustomed to it for a week or two and try release again
Thank you. I will try this once she is healthy again. I may move the tomato and an anemone to the tank with her if she is healthy.

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 azure is a bad number. Two and three will become one in time. Large groups seven and more is all that works with a fish like Azure Damsels.

OP
OP
R

Rusty Baldwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 azure is a bad number. Two and three will become one in time. Large groups seven and more is all that works with a fish like Azure Damsels.
That makes things interesting. I still have two in main display and one in a second display. So I could get more and see what happens.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back