Help catch a bully

carruthers79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!!! How do I catch a total bully (blue damsel). He’s attacking everyone in my tank. Killed one of my clowns and about to do the same to my new ones.
I got two of them to start cycling my tank and now I can’t Seem to put anything else in. Even the other blue damsel is always hiding and beaten up help please. I’ll even buy something else to eat him. The bugger is two fast and I can’t seem to catch him with a net. Two many rocks for him to hide

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try a fish trap. they tend to avoid the trap but if you leave it in there a few days and blow the food into it they will start associating with being fed. Thats how I caught mine. Dont worry about catching other fish at the same time as you can just put them back in the tank.

OP
OP
carruthers79

carruthers79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try a fish trap. they tend to avoid the trap but if you leave it in there a few days and blow the food into it they will start associating with being fed. Thats how I caught mine. Dont worry about catching other fish at the same time as you can just put them back in the tank.
Ok, do I just look up fish trap or could you point me in the right direction or a pic so I know what to get.
Thanks for the info

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@carruthers79

Trust me...did the same thing with 1 blue damsel, Check out my build thread... dude was a complete arsehole!

Eventually had to remove most of my live rock and hand catch/net him out...my nephew @liamkrenz had to help me also. It was a pain in the butt!

Thankfully, tank was still newish, so didn't really mess anything up.

Hard lesson learned!

OP
OP
carruthers79

carruthers79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@carruthers79

Trust me...did the same thing with 1 blue damsel, Check out my build thread... dude was a complete arsehole!

Eventually had to remove most of my live rock and hand catch/net him out...my nephew @liamkrenz had to help me also. It was a pain in the butt!

Thankfully, tank was still newish, so didn't really mess anything up.

Hard lesson learned!

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't let me post from a website the one I have is the Bubble Maggus fish trap but I have even used 2 liter bottles before. Google them or look at you tube and you can get creative.

OP
OP
carruthers79

carruthers79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't let me post from a website the one I have is the Bubble Maggus fish trap but I have even used 2 liter bottles before. Google them or look at you tube and you can get creative.
Cool man thanks really appreciate it. I really don’t want to pull all my rock out.
I’m going to give it a shot!

OP
OP
carruthers79

carruthers79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught my Allen’s damsel in a few minutes with a homemade fish trap (a soda or water bottle cut in half, with the neck part inserted backwards). I had put some fish meat in it.
Thanks I’ll try that first. Any chance you know about a green nepthea leather I’ve only had it a few days and some how the bottom hard piece snapped off when I went to move it.
Didn’t seem to like the spot and now I think I killed it I have a hammer as well and it seems to be doing fine that’s why I thought I would move the nepthea

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I’ll try that first. Any chance you know about a green nepthea leather I’ve only had it a few days and some how the bottom hard piece snapped off when I went to move it.
Didn’t seem to like the spot and now I think I killed it I have a hammer as well and it seems to be doing fine that’s why I thought I would move the nepthea
No, can’t advise on nepthea, sorry.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one and did the same, it died about a week later, never healed

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back