Baby bristleworms ...

Jojo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

so a few times in my tank I’ve seen one purple-ish adult bristleworm. I saw they can be a valuable CUC and my tank was real new when I first noticed him (about 5/6 months old) so I made the decision to leave him in as they didn’t seem to be harmful at the time. Now I’ve noticed what seem to be baby bristleworms coming out of one corner in particular in my sand bed. They normally come up a few inches in the glass... and then go back into the sand bed. Should I be worried? I’ve only seen it 3 or 4 times so far.... but should I be proactive about this?

I got a video of one these “baby” ones the other day. I haven’t seen the adult in a while, but I’m 99% sure it’s a bristleworm.

Attachments

• IMG_2280.MOV
    12.9 MB
OP
OP
Jojo92

Jojo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t get the vid to load so I screenshot the vid lol. But pretty sure it’s a baby bristleworm.

D9A9176D-08CB-4F8E-A0A3-3C8EA52E6AAB.png

OP
OP
Jojo92

Jojo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the video it is not close enough to make out what type of worm. Anyway you could get a close up picture of it.
I’ve only seen them maybe three or four times and they go back into the sand bed pretty quickly after leaving it, that’s the only time my phone was close by enough to catch it on camera lol

I’m pretty confident in saying it’s a baby bristleworm. I’ve def seen the adult. Lol I’m just not sure if this might be a good time to try getting rid of them.. do they tend to become bad problems? or is this something that the experienced say to not worry about with a newer tank?

OP
OP
Jojo92

Jojo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only seen them maybe three or four times and they go back into the sand bed pretty quickly after leaving it, that’s the only time my phone was close by enough to catch it on camera lol

I’m pretty confident in saying it’s a baby bristleworm. I’ve def seen the adult. Lol I’m just not sure if this might be a good time to try getting rid of them.. do they tend to become bad problems? or is this something that the experienced say to not worry about with a newer tank?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is in fact just a common bristleworm you will probably have lots of them eventually. In my experience they're not a problem, but some people hate the way they look and do anything to keep them out. To me they're part of the CUC.

OP
OP
Jojo92

Jojo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping this is the case... I’ll keep my eyes posted for a better picture/vid. But if anyone seems something similar please let me know

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back