Baby Clowns

  • Thread starter Thread starter Darbna
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Darbna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 17, 2016
Messages
1,151
Reaction score
979
Location
palm beach, FL
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well guys, got a few fish in my tank finally. Way better than staring at rocks!! I only had to cycle for 2 weeks since all the rocks came out of a 5 year old tank. Got a couple small coral too. So I got 4 Baby Clowns, 2 baby Hippo Tangs, a Flame Hawk, and a purple dottyback. I had a choice of 1 bigger clown(aprox 3 inches) or the 4 little guys. I was wondering how much they grow and what the time frame will be until they reach 2 inches or so. They are really only ready to sell size. Maybe half an inch. The Hippo tangs are around the same size too. I'm new so any feedback is welcome. Feeding 1 small frozen cube twice a day so......
 
They tend to grow faster in larger tanks with more swimming room. It's hard to say when they will reach two inches but I'd guess about 1 year+. Feeding generously will help fatten them up but this will also lead to more uneaten food in the tank, poorer water quality and more water changes. Good luck! Great fishes!
 
My clowns were around the same size as yours assuming they are standard percula and I also had hippos around the same size . Took a year and half for them to get to 2 inc's . I hope this helps :)
 
My clowns were around the same size as yours assuming they are standard percula and I also had hippos around the same size . Took a year and half for them to get to 2 inc's . I hope this helps :)
What was your tank size and feeding scheadule?
 
They tend to grow faster in larger tanks with more swimming room. It's hard to say when they will reach two inches but I'd guess about 1 year+. Feeding generously will help fatten them up but this will also lead to more uneaten food in the tank, poorer water quality and more water changes. Good luck! Great fishes!
Thanks. Got a 120 Gallon. They have plenty of room
 
And of course there is the anemone. Anyone have experience putting one in the tank. How quickly did the clowns find it? did it harm any other fish or coral while moving around finding its place? Anything else you can tell me would be helpful. I am like most new reefers, my kids would have me re create the entire nemo movie so there is always that too.
 
They'll find the anemone pretty quickly and it's pretty cool to see! Mine found them almost immediately. Anemones constantly go for "walks" so they will just walk over coral and may cause harm but other fish just ignore them and won't be bothered. Theres not really anyway to make them stay put but it keeps things interesting!
 
My size tank at the time was a 120 and I feed twice a day ( before and after work ) . Also feed 3 times a day on weekends I didn't have to work
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new