Baby hippo tang not eating or swimming

Melissamh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a baby hippo tang on Friday and he ate at the store and seemed to be fine. I got he home and set up in a qt and now he will not eat and is mostly laying on his side at the bottom of the tank. This morning I checked on him and he was standing on his head. I know tangs to crazy things but I don’t think he is ok. Ammonia was .5 on Tuesday so I did a water change. I have a lawnmower blenny and a banggia cardinal in the tank with him and they are fine. Please help.

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a baby hippo tang on Friday and he ate at the store and seemed to be fine. I got he home and set up in a qt and now he will not eat and is mostly laying on his side at the bottom of the tank. This morning I checked on him and he was standing on his head. I know tangs to crazy things but I don’t think he is ok. Ammonia was .5 on Tuesday so I did a water change. I have a lawnmower blenny and a banggia cardinal in the tank with him and they are fine. Please help.
Can you send a picture or a video? Tangs are weird, with blue tangs being the weirdest of them all. I used to have a 10 inch yellow belly hippo that was the craziest fish I ever owned, if someone watched him they would think something was wrong with him, but surprisingly that was just his personality. I’ve only ever had 1 other hippo and it is still a weird fish, he lays on his side to sleep too. If the bangaii and the lawnmower blenny are alright that makes me think the blue tang is just doing blue tang stuff. Acting weird, not eating, etc. what have you tried feeding him so far?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ammonia really needs to be kept below 0.25 at all times, and zero is even better. Really difficult to say what’s going on with the tang, is it breathing fast? Can you post a picture or short video?
Jay

OP
OP
M

Melissamh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you send a picture or a video? Tangs are weird, with blue tangs being the weirdest of them all. I used to have a 10 inch yellow belly hippo that was the craziest fish I ever owned, if someone watched him they would think something was wrong with him, but surprisingly that was just his personality. I’ve only ever had 1 other hippo and it is still a weird fish, he lays on his side to sleep too. If the bangaii and the lawnmower blenny are alright that makes me think the blue tang is just doing blue tang stuff. Acting weird, not eating, etc. what have you tried feeding him so far?
I have tried to feed it mysis baby brine and last night live brine. He could have ate the live brine but I didn’t see him ate any. I’m have a towel over the tank to help him not stress. I will post a video when I get home from work.

OP
OP
M

Melissamh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ammonia really needs to be kept below 0.25 at all times, and zero is even better. Really difficult to say what’s going on with the tang, is it breathing fast? Can you post a picture or short video?
Jay
When the ammonia was .5 he was breathing fast but now he is not. The ammonia was at 0 but the next day it was .5. I will post a video when I get off work.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That ammonia as Jay stated was a bit high and I assume nitrate was also and a possibility of low oxygen

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've often heard that baby hippos, in the >2" range have a fairly high mortality rate. Why, I'm not rightly sure. 2"+ and they are much hardier, mine went through hell and back, and is now doing pretty well.

And let me say, sorry for your loss, it's never easy losing a fish. :(

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. .
It is sad losing any fish .
I have always had better luck with small yellow belly tangs. .
They seam to be a little hardier and adjust easier .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back