Baby Powder and other "Unconventional" Ideas for reefing!

Have you discovered any "unconventional" tips for reefing on your own?

• Yes (please share in the thread)

Votes: 64 18.7%
  • No but I have learned some from others..

Votes: 110 32.1%
  • No but I'm interested to learn about them!

Votes: 169 49.3%

• Total voters

Jjd531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh this is a good one, I have only had one conch so this could be just luck, but my conch will eat bubble algae when it was bad I put him up on the rocks to slurp it up and I say that literally he cleaned my frags the rocks brand new no more bubble algae. Hes a good climber and found out he'll eat the bubble algae because he climbed high enough to get it. He's a fighting conch.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a super fantastic thread full of super awesome innovative ideas.

I used a large syringe to rid my new large Zoa colony of nuisence nudis. Took a few night sessions, with a torch, but all of them varments I did get. :p

I've also found lining a couple of the interior cabinet walls, like a stereo speaker, is a super soundproofer against noisy equipment / water. o_O

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I come upon a tank with a lot of aiptasia, rather than mess with chemicals or rely on green files or peppermint shrimp, I just scrape them off the rocks.

But, here’s the thing...you all know what happens when you just start hacking aiptasias into pieces.

My wife is a dental hygienist, and she always has a bunch of old scaling equipment lying around that she gives me. Here’s what you do:

Take rock out (when possible). Using a scaler (metal with half hooks on the end that is made to remove calculus from teeth even below the gum line), you can get right between the rock and the bottom of the basal laminar musculature of the anemone. In instances where they aren’t attached way down into a crevice or hole, you can pop them right off the rock, sometimes without them even closing up.

Now, if they are down into the rock....no problem. Just rip away. The scaler has a hook-like shape, so you can extract the bulk of the body. Then, for whatever tissue is left on the rock, well...that’s what scalers are good for. Just scrape the rest off the rock, and you’re done.

It sounds like it’s a pain, but you can actually make pretty quick work of a lot them. I worked on a tank last week that hand about 25 aiptasias on a single rock, and I had the whole thing cleaned off in about 15 minutes.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also found that an empty CD / DVD storage case makes a great skimmer collection cup.

1579831828960.png
worked super awesome :p :D :D

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T-slot siliconed to the top rim of my 120 with door sliders installed.
Ati unit sits on it 4" from the surface and slides back out of the way to work on the tank.
Only works on rimmed tanks though.
No glare and all the light goes into the tank.
20191023_194507.jpg
20191023_195459.jpg

Ndcrites

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought the trend ten years ago of using mr clean pads to remove inside tank wall growths was pretty neat whoever figured that out
I’ve seen seachem I think make their own fish safe versions now. They are so handy.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this black plastic container from the local Tip.
Was told it was a solar heater for a spa, or something like that.
filled it with plastic bio-balls I had left over from the 1990'S reef filtration days & use it on my outdoor pond

1580790261680.png

Works super awesome :D

Keiki

AKA LACY ON RC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hydrogen peroxide if the water if there is not enough oxygen in the water. Only a temporary fix but will get you through the night until the fish store is open if your airator breaks.
How much do you dose? We are getting solar panels so they will have to have the power off for about 6 hours. We don't want to pull out the generator and I only have 2 fish, sps and a few snails/hermit crabs. I'm kind of thinking it will be fine the way it is, but might try the peroxide.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
filled it with plastic bio-balls I had left over from the 1990'S reef filtration days & use it on my outdoor pond

1580790261680.png

What the puck? That should of been my idea.

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to keep Alkalinity stable is to test it every hour(with an automated tester if possible) and then adjust your dosing schedule throughout the day from there. My calcium reactor peristaltic feed pump only runs every other hour at night so I don’t get a huge alkalinity spike at night.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was at the WaterBox family reunion this weekend and I heard this neat tip from Jeff Turner who is the owner of Chemi-Pure and Reef Aquarium Design. If you're not familiar with RAD then click that link and be in awe! If Jeff knows anything it's about moving BIG tanks and equipment for them. In his talk he mentioned a little tip about sliding heavy tanks and sumps. They simply spread a little baby powder down on the foam boards and it makes it easier to slide the tank or sump into position. With just that little tip there was a collective sigh of interest in the room! HA! We're so easily amused! :p

I would love to hear about all of your little "unconventional" tips for reefing!

What are some of the more unconventional tips that you have found that works for reefing?

Reef tank built and installed by RAD

I would say my "conventional tip " if taking on a build like those vids... is to make sure you have a CRAPLOAD of money

20200204_002602.jpg

Keiki

AKA LACY ON RC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1580790261680.png

What is Tip?

Back