Baby spiny box burrfish look dusty

burrfishbloatin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 3 newborn burrfish 10 days ago. When I brought them home I preventively started treated them ich-x. On the 3rd day one of them stoped eating and then ended up dying the next day. He had a few spots and was heavy breathing. I decided the Ich-x wasn’t working the night he stopped eating and had some spots. I then did a large water change and started the transition to hyposalinity. The other 2 fish have been fine since. They both have an appetite and seem to be acting normal. But I noticed they look sort of dusty. Is this something to be concerned about? I am doing daily water changes at 50%. I am also treating them with stress coat when doing the water changes. The ph is also normal. The pictures where the fish is skinny is when I first got her the other 2 are from today.

7FE4FE05-E6F7-44E9-8397-EA81EE740237.jpeg D489A473-EC80-4D5B-95A5-7D57BBAB8123.jpeg AAD0CA5C-CDC6-4A0D-9B08-B1B7FD9ECB29.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 3 newborn burrfish 10 days ago. When I brought them home I preventively started treated them ich-x. On the 3rd day one of them stoped eating and then ended up dying the next day. He had a few spots and was heavy breathing. I decided the Ich-x wasn’t working the night he stopped eating and had some spots. I then did a large water change and started the transition to hyposalinity. The other 2 fish have been fine since. They both have an appetite and seem to be acting normal. But I noticed they look sort of dusty. Is this something to be concerned about? I am doing daily water changes at 50%. I am also treating them with stress coat when doing the water changes. The ph is also normal. The pictures where the fish is skinny is when I first got her the other 2 are from today.

7FE4FE05-E6F7-44E9-8397-EA81EE740237.jpeg D489A473-EC80-4D5B-95A5-7D57BBAB8123.jpeg AAD0CA5C-CDC6-4A0D-9B08-B1B7FD9ECB29.jpeg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Fish of this group tend to come in with lots of different parasites. The spots on the fins in the first photo could well be ich.

Hyposalinity works for many of them, but it needs to be at the correct level - a specific gravity of 1.009 is needed.

Don't use Ich-X on these. I know it says it can be used in saltwater, but it is really just a freshwater fish medication. The malachite green can become toxic to some fish, and it really does not control marine ich very well at all. Coppersafe would be better.

Jay

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collected one of those here in the sea. Very cool fish. In a year he grew about 5" and I gave him to the New York Aquarium :)

OP
OP
burrfishbloatin

burrfishbloatin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Fish of this group tend to come in with lots of different parasites. The spots on the fins in the first photo could well be ich.

Hyposalinity works for many of them, but it needs to be at the correct level - a specific gravity of 1.009 is needed.

Don't use Ich-X on these. I know it says it can be used in saltwater, but it is really just a freshwater fish medication. The malachite green can become toxic to some fish, and it really does not control marine ich very well at all. Coppersafe would be better.

Jay
Thank you for your advice. I have had the salinity at 1.009. Should I finish the 30 days with the hyposalinity then follow up with coppersafe after? Is the coppersafe hard on young fish?

OP
OP
burrfishbloatin

burrfishbloatin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collected one of those here in the sea. Very cool fish. In a year he grew about 5" and I gave him to the New York Aquarium :)

I am really enjoying them so far. They are very social. Did you have an issues with disease? If so how did you treat? Thanks for sharing

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your advice. I have had the salinity at 1.009. Should I finish the 30 days with the hyposalinity then follow up with coppersafe after? Is the coppersafe hard on young fish?

No need to run copper if you go with a full course of hyposalinity. The primary issue that hypo does not treat is velvet.

Coppersafe is well tolerated.

You might consider finishing the treatment time with two weeks of praziquantel, in case the fish have flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
burrfishbloatin

burrfishbloatin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to run copper if you go with a full course of hyposalinity. The primary issue that hypo does not treat is velvet.

Coppersafe is well tolerated.

You might consider finishing the treatment time with two weeks of praziquantel, in case the fish have flukes.

Jay
Thank you I really appreciate your advice!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back