Baby Undulated Triggerfish

HildebrandRarity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone, hope all is well! I just received a very tiny baby undulated triggerfish in the mail and have him in a small quarantine tank, after him spending a few days in the quarantine and pending approval of health I want to move him to my bigger tank with my large angelfish and large anthias. I have research this is the most aggressive fish in the hobby but wow he is so beautiful lol. I figure since he is so tiny I can try to see how they get along since I have such a large tank and the other 2 fish are thriving and healthy. Curious to know if any of you guys have had baby triggerfish with other fish hand how they got along? let me now thanks!

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not had baby triggerfish but I've had lots of triggerfish, including undulated. There is a lot of variation among individuals within the species, but they're often not as mean as reputed for the most part if given enough space. They are also very slow growing.

How big is the little guy? Dime, penny, nickel, quarter? Any pics?

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone, hope all is well! I just received a very tiny baby undulated triggerfish in the mail and have him in a small quarantine tank, after him spending a few days in the quarantine and pending approval of health I want to move him to my bigger tank with my large angelfish and large anthias. I have research this is the most aggressive fish in the hobby but wow he is so beautiful lol. I figure since he is so tiny I can try to see how they get along since I have such a large tank and the other 2 fish are thriving and healthy. Curious to know if any of you guys have had baby triggerfish with other fish hand how they got along? let me now thanks!
I have a 3" long undulated triggerfish in my 75-gallon FOWLR I acquired mid-September. The previous owner stocked the tank, so I am not sure how old any of the fish are (owner said he had them a year or two). Other fish include a 3" Picasso triggerfish (Rhinecanthus aculeatus), a 3" rectangle triggerfish (Rhinecanthus rectangulus), a 2-1/2" green reef chromis (Chromis viridis), a 4" purple tang (Zebrasoma xanthurus), and a 12" snowflake eel (Echidna nebulosa).

So far, the undulated triggerfish is the shyest fish and hides out most of the time, though he has gotten a bit more bold recently. The fishes seem to get along for the most part, though the triggers all snap at each other a bit from time to time.

I do not plan to include the triggerfish in my 90-gallon reef that I am planning right now, though some may end up in a mangrove tank tied into the system. I am concerned with keeping the undulated triggerfish after reading the same that they are one of the most aggressive fish, but it is certainly beautiful, especially since mine has orange and cyan-blue stripes that I like.

OP
OP
HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture as a few of you guys requested :)

DF546C63-EBD6-459F-AF12-1BEF6444BD2D.jpeg

OP
OP
HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know, but pics please!
I've not had baby triggerfish but I've had lots of triggerfish, including undulated. There is a lot of variation among individuals within the species, but they're often not as mean as reputed for the most part if given enough space. They are also very slow growing.

How big is the little guy? Dime, penny, nickel, quarter? Any pics?
I would say a littler larger than a quarter, just posted a pic :)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At about 5" he will try and kill most everything in your tank. If you have a 500g with other aggressive fish you have a chance; otherwise, it's just a matter of time. My 1st tank 30 years ago started with an undulated trigger, he went on to live in a 1000g tank at a local bar and became a crowd favorite.

OP
OP
HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is baby clown trigger! Had him since he was about an inch! Now 3 ! Already boisterous!! Lol. Letting him grow out before I put him in 500 gallon. Undulated will need a very large tank like Lion king said or expect dead fish.

F614E3CA-CD22-427C-B60C-ED662CCEF79C.jpeg F37AF940-BAB6-4C00-8187-CCF49FAFD604.jpeg 1B53D19A-2B22-4995-ADF4-74A7D9DBAF65.jpeg
How does he get along with the emperor? I have a Koran Angel around the same size

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Undulated is a very nasty trigger and will literally tear skin from your finger.
Being a tiny baby- you may be a good risk and just keep an eye on it. When you start to see evidence of fin nipping- you have decisions to make. They dont grow very fast so you have plenty of time.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is baby clown trigger! Had him since he was about an inch! Now 3 ! Already boisterous!! Lol. Letting him grow out before I put him in 500 gallon. Undulated will need a very large tank like Lion king said or expect dead fish.

F614E3CA-CD22-427C-B60C-ED662CCEF79C.jpeg F37AF940-BAB6-4C00-8187-CCF49FAFD604.jpeg 1B53D19A-2B22-4995-ADF4-74A7D9DBAF65.jpeg
My favorite of all Triggers!!!!!!

OP
OP
HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is in a tank with my Domino Damsel now and they seem to be getting along great for the time being, both of them are very entertaining to watch

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back