Stocking 380 Gallon Plywood Pond - Inspired by WhiteLightning77

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, any suggestions for adding/changing this stock list?? Tank will be a 200x120x60cm - 380 Gallon Display with a 200x30x60cm - 100 gallon sump behind it. In the sump I'm planning on a chaetomorpha refugium, a bubble magus curve 9+, some live rock, filter pads and a carbon reactor/uv steriliser.

Tangs
1x Orange Shoulder Tang
1x Ringtail Surgeonfish
1x Convict Tang
Maybe Vlamingii tang

Triggerfish
1x Niger Triggerfish
1x Rectangle Triggerfish
1x Picasso Triggerfish
Maybe Pink-tail Triggerfish

Miscellaneous
7x Monodactylus Argenteus
1x Racoon Butterfly
1x Queen Angelfish

Maybe Stars and Stripes Puffer
This will have to eat frozen/dry food half the time when im not here but can be fed clams and mussels or other things when I am.
Maybe 3x Blue-stripe Snapper
Maybe Other Angelfish

Invertebrates
1-2x Long-spine Urchin

Wrasses
Not sure, looking for recommendations but something that can put up with the triggers and that are light-ish colours

May add corals later down the line but the puffer and butterfly would have to go

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you are trying to build, but it seems amazing. Good luck, can’t wait to see it
sorta like this but indoors and probably with a glass viewing panel on the long side

1713697090475.png

Attachments

• 1713697053411.png
    1713697053411.png
    1,009.1 KB · Views: 17

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, any suggestions for adding/changing this stock list?? Tank will be a 200x120x60cm - 380 Gallon Display with a 200x30x60cm - 100 gallon sump behind it. In the sump I'm planning on a chaetomorpha refugium, a bubble magus curve 9+, some live rock, filter pads and a carbon reactor/uv steriliser.

Tangs
1x Orange Shoulder Tang
1x Ringtail Surgeonfish
1x Convict Tang
Maybe Vlamingii tang

Triggerfish
1x Niger Triggerfish
1x Rectangle Triggerfish
1x Picasso Triggerfish

Miscellaneous
1x Racoon Butterfly
1x Queen Angelfish

This will have to eat frozen/dry food half the time when im not here but can be fed clams and mussels or other things when I am.
Maybe Other Angelfish

Invertebrates
1-2x Long-spine Urchin

Wrasses
Not sure, looking for recommendations but something that can put up with the triggers and that are light-ish colours

May add corals later down the line but the puffer and butterfly would have to go
Harlequin Tusks have always been super cool looking and could def handle their own with the other fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tangs
1x Orange Shoulder Tang
1x Ringtail Surgeonfish
1x Convict Tang
Maybe Vlamingii tang

Triggerfish
1x Niger Triggerfish
1x Rectangle Triggerfish
1x Picasso Triggerfish

Miscellaneous
1x Racoon Butterfly
1x Queen Angelfish

Maybe Other Angelfish

Invertebrates
1-2x Long-spine Urchin

Wrasses

Corals would wind up with triggers, puffer and angel having to go. The butterfly however may work with coral depending on what you want.

It entirely depends on your plan with what fish will work.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: Scrap the rectangle trigger, convict tang, shoulder tang, stars & stripes puffer and snappers
Add Hippo Tang, Yellowfin surgeonfish, Porcupine fish, Elegant Coris, Two-lined monocle bream
Fish

Also will add a display refugium with a white spot toby

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5x Monodactylus Argenteus - 10”

3x Bluestripe Snapper - 10”

1x Dogface Puffer - 13”

1x Racoon Butterfly - 8”

1x Picasso Triggerfish - 10”

1x Hippo Tang - 12”

1x Lieutenant Tang - 10”

1x White Freckled Surgeonfish - 15”

1x Blue Angelfish - 15”

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be but I’ve had some that just demolish them.
Sorry not related to the thread but how do you put that sort of bio on your messages? Like where yours says "the most important thing is; Do you like it? And is it worth the money? The second most important is; Don’t tell anyone the price… especially your partner"

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry not related to the thread but how do you put that sort of bio on your messages? Like where yours says "the most important thing is; Do you like it? And is it worth the money? The second most important is; Don’t tell anyone the price… especially your partner"
It’s in the signature part under your profile :)
IMG_0211.jpeg

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorta like this but indoors and probably with a glass viewing panel on the long side

1713697090475.png
I had something I built very similar for several years. It eventually leaked. I would advise using a double 40 mil liner or a 60 mil. I only used a 40 . I really enjoyed it and the fish were more natural in movement not glass surfing . Also not sure how you would do a window but the look down view was really cool without one. Also you will never get the corners folded perfectly and the fish will use the pockets in the corners to hide in. You will need outdoor carpet or some pad between the liner and plywood to prevent splinters as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something I built very similar for several years. It eventually leaked. I would advise using a double 40 mil liner or a 60 mil. I only used a 40 . I really enjoyed it and the fish were more natural in movement not glass surfing . Also not sure how you would do a window but the look down view was really cool without one. Also you will never get the corners folded perfectly and the fish will use the pockets in the corners to hide in. You will need outdoor carpet or some pad between the liner and plywood to prevent splinters as well.

Yeah ive decided to just seal with liquid rubber instead of liner. Also to contruct it I will have 3 frames that I screw onto corner posts and then skin with plywood. On the front piece I will just have 3 5x10cm planks on the bottom and sides with a dado cut so I can slot a glass pane in

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Never mind, I'm not trying to spend $900 on liquid rubber, I'm going to go with 80mil pond liner, 40mil behind that and then geo-textile fabric underneath that. It's probably overkill but I want to have chompy fish like triggers and puffers. Any idea on how I can incorporate a viewing panel? Beautiful fish in your pond though

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mind, I'm not trying to spend $900 on liquid rubber, I'm going to go with 80mil pond liner, 40mil behind that and then geo-textile fabric underneath that. It's probably overkill but I want to have chompy fish like triggers and puffers. Any idea on how I can incorporate a viewing panel? Beautiful fish in your pond though
Think I will do a custom liner to fit the size of my pond so there arent any bits jutting out and a sleeper window like what people use in their koi ponds

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how you could with a liner which is why I didn't. Mine was more of a temporary solution instead of a stocktank and I liked the lookdown so much I just never upgraded to a larger aquarium, until it leaked and I had to.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since its a top viewing system I'd probably do a bunch of mangroves in the center. make it more lagoon like. maybe even a island in the middle and have/hope hermit crabs come ashore?
yeah thats what i was planning to do, also the only crabs im allowed are the jewelled anenome hermit crabs and I want to have a picasso trigger in my tank so I dont think it will work. Im sticking to lightly coloured fish that are mostly found in mangrove areas like monos, bluestripe snappers, picasso triggerfish but for a tank this size I gotta have some tangs and angels. For aquascaping I'll do like a large swimthrough island with tonnes of mangroves on top on the left side and then have a reef wall sort of thing going from the right side to the middle and keep the rest of the area open for fast swimming fishes like the monos

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back