Baby Urchin... But it's White?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dangles
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2022
Messages
1,866
Reaction score
2,429
Location
Ohio
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I recently discovered a baby sea urchin in my tank. It's a relatively new tank, and I have 2 urchins there already, but given the short duration the tank has been up, and that I've only seen this one, I doubt my 2 urchins spawned. I did just get an order of TBS live sand, which I suspect is the source.

But he's white. In the photos of baby urchins I've found, they're all already brown. He's about the size of a pee. See below...


IMG_8806.jpeg
IMG_8805.jpeg
IMG_8769.jpeg


These are the best photos I can get so far. He's been cruising around "leveling up" his "armor" every day :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Any thoughts?
 
I recently discovered a baby sea urchin in my tank. It's a relatively new tank, and I have 2 urchins there already, but given the short duration the tank has been up, and that I've only seen this one, I doubt my 2 urchins spawned. I did just get an order of TBS live sand, which I suspect is the source.

But he's white. In the photos of baby urchins I've found, they're all already brown. He's about the size of a pee. See below...


IMG_8806.jpeg
IMG_8805.jpeg
IMG_8769.jpeg


These are the best photos I can get so far. He's been cruising around "leveling up" his "armor" every day :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Any thoughts?
Albino maybe? Not unheard of.
 
When pink pincushions aren't super healthy they can turn white, and those are super common in tbs live rock/sand. They're totally reef safe but eat a lot and can get baseball-almost softball sized. Mine has grown from a golf ball to a baseball size in about a year
 
When pink pincushions aren't super healthy they can turn white, and those are super common in tbs live rock/sand. They're totally reef safe but eat a lot and can get baseball-almost softball sized. Mine has grown from a golf ball to a baseball size in about a year
I got a pink one as a baby too from TBS at like an eraser size and in 2 months he's ping ball size. they grow up so fast ;-)
 
I got this guy a few months ago from my LFS. White with pink tips.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9997.jpeg
    IMG_9997.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 56
Tiny pincushions are adorable; juveniles we see are cream, light grey or faint pink.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new