Baby Urchin... But it's White?

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I recently discovered a baby sea urchin in my tank. It's a relatively new tank, and I have 2 urchins there already, but given the short duration the tank has been up, and that I've only seen this one, I doubt my 2 urchins spawned. I did just get an order of TBS live sand, which I suspect is the source.

But he's white. In the photos of baby urchins I've found, they're all already brown. He's about the size of a pee. See below...

IMG_8806.jpeg
IMG_8805.jpeg
IMG_8769.jpeg

These are the best photos I can get so far. He's been cruising around "leveling up" his "armor" every day :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Any thoughts?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently discovered a baby sea urchin in my tank. It's a relatively new tank, and I have 2 urchins there already, but given the short duration the tank has been up, and that I've only seen this one, I doubt my 2 urchins spawned. I did just get an order of TBS live sand, which I suspect is the source.

But he's white. In the photos of baby urchins I've found, they're all already brown. He's about the size of a pee. See below...

IMG_8806.jpeg
IMG_8805.jpeg
IMG_8769.jpeg

These are the best photos I can get so far. He's been cruising around "leveling up" his "armor" every day :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Any thoughts?
Albino maybe? Not unheard of.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When pink pincushions aren't super healthy they can turn white, and those are super common in tbs live rock/sand. They're totally reef safe but eat a lot and can get baseball-almost softball sized. Mine has grown from a golf ball to a baseball size in about a year

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When pink pincushions aren't super healthy they can turn white, and those are super common in tbs live rock/sand. They're totally reef safe but eat a lot and can get baseball-almost softball sized. Mine has grown from a golf ball to a baseball size in about a year
I got a pink one as a baby too from TBS at like an eraser size and in 2 months he's ping ball size. they grow up so fast ;-)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back