Baby yellow tang in 10 gallon temporary tank?

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg... wasn't going to comment... tried to scroll on by but... WHAT!?

Screenshot_20190823-103747_Samsung Internet.jpg

A captive bred fish does not know it's in a small area!? Instinctually, an animal that it's born to swim, wants to swim. And if it can't move about the way it was born to do, it's quality of life will be reduced. Killer whales at sea world, kept in small areas, act out, humans in solitary confinement go crazy. It's not INSTINCT....NATURAL. It's like keeping a horse in a small pen it's whole life...a bird in a box...a baby in its crib... sure, they fit, they can be fed there, they can survive, but they won't THRIVE.

At this point he just sounds like he's justifying murdering this fish. "Well the fish store was going to murder him too, so I decided to murder him at a slower, more torturous pace."

Guy threw every excuse in the book...

* apparently in 4-6 months time, there will not be another yellow tang available for him to buy

* he doesn't like the lfs conditions

* he doesn't like online ordering

* he doesn't like local reefing community

* he doesn't have friends

* he doesn't like the answer NO he recieved from everyone here

He doesn't have the patience to wait until he has created a proper home for the fish, he can't take advice, and he thinks 65 gallons is big enough for a tang...?? All just means he's not ready for this "hobby."

Sad that fish's lives don't matter as much as a dog's or cat's or bird's or horse's life. I wish more people cared about the creatures in their tank as much as the lot of you that voiced your concern in this thread. Happy to share this "hobby" with you and I hope someone has learned, by reading this thread, to better care for their tank inhabitants.

Screenshot_20190823-104350_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the only LFS that sells saltwater fish that's not an hour+ away has a baby yellow tang, about the size of a quarter maybe a little bigger, which they NEVER have. My question is would that little fella be okay living in my current 10 gallon tank with my clownfish and cleaner shrimp for the time being? I'm currently in the middle of setting up a 65 gallon so in 4-5 months, 6 tops, everything will be going in there. I fully expect to catch some heat on this one so let me have it!

If it were just a few weeks I would say yes, but 10 gallons is generally smaller than even the holding tanks at the LFS. Keep in mind aggression and level of activity is a serious factor with a Yellow Tang (take it from someone who had a 4 inch one try to claim my entire 90 gallon for himself). For 4-5 months a 10 gallon is just too small even for a baby.

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get you a German short hair pointer and leave him in the house. Perhaps you will see some animals are hard wired in a particular way. One abbreviation for the OP, DNA. Best of luck

Derek siskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He doesn’t want to drive an hour + away to get fish when he eventually gets a tank big enough, so he’d rather go ahead and buy it now for it to die in his tank instead knowing it will have the same attention. I drive 110 miles one way to get to the best fish store because I like the service and know the fish are taken care of.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back