Welcome to the Reef
Photo_1660507686493.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been over 10 years and decided to jump back into the game. My home town of Binghamton, NY finally has a decent reef shop and I've been seeing some of my old reef mates getting back into the hobby. I see that the industry has greatly progressed to be more ecologically friendly (e.g., man made rock, lots of aquaculture corals and fish etc.) and the equipment is much more energy efficient and sophisticated, allowing for good reef husbandry in relatively small displays. Whereas I used to keep much larger tanks and sumps, I decided to go with an Innovative Marine 50 gallon AIO fusion. The rear sump area is larger enough to contain a chemical media rack, skimmer and refugium, requiring that I nix the filter sock. I am running two AI Prime lights. The tank was established right after Christmas utilizing all man made dry rock. I started cycling the rock for over a month in a large Brute container with Dr Tims and then Microbacter 7 while awaiting tank delivery. My hope and intent was to see if by carefully establishing a bacteria and copepod population, I could avoid the dreaded "ugly stage". After setting up the tank, I kept the lights off for about two weeks with only a bonded pair of "Gladiator" Ocellaris. And now only two months later I have added a variety of softies, zoos, LPS and even some spa corals. Thus far, all looks good and thus far (knock on wood) very little signs of problem algae. I am starting to dose kalkwasser and do weekly water changes which will gradually be changed to bi-weekly, and then monthly as the system matures. I am very happy to be back into this hobby/lifestyle. I have a challenging job as a private practice clinical psychologist and it is wonderful to relax at the end of the day by playing with the reef tank!

IMG_3132.jpeg

Welcome and Welcome Back! Glad you joined. Your tank is looking GREAT already!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find more people local to you in NY:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

AKLiving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Enjoy the peace and relaxation staring into your reef.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back