Back in reefing after a long break

CharlotteReefer43

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 9, 2023
Messages
4
Reaction score
39
Location
Charlotte
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
After a decade away from the hobby (grad school, getting married, having 2 kids, building a house) I'm finally at a point in life where I can get back in to the hobby in a way I'm comfortable with. I'm 35, work in electronic engineering, married with two kids, and in the Charlotte, NC USA area. I was a master of thrift and DIY in my early 20's (and while still not opposed to it by any means) I plan to be a lot slower and more deliberate with this upcoming build. A lot has changed since I was last active so I'm currently in my research phase of the build plan. Thank you all in advance for the threads and conversations archived here for me to learn from and I apologize for dumb and (hopefully not) duplivative questions.

Ty
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif
 
Hi all,
After a decade away from the hobby (grad school, getting married, having 2 kids, building a house) I'm finally at a point in life where I can get back in to the hobby in a way I'm comfortable with. I'm 35, work in electronic engineering, married with two kids, and in the Charlotte, NC USA area. I was a master of thrift and DIY in my early 20's (and while still not opposed to it by any means) I plan to be a lot slower and more deliberate with this upcoming build. A lot has changed since I was last active so I'm currently in my research phase of the build plan. Thank you all in advance for the threads and conversations archived here for me to learn from and I apologize for dumb and (hopefully not) duplivative questions.

Ty
I knew you would be back!
 
Welcome back.

Not much has actually changed since you left at the core. The only real game changers were Mysis shrimp to get fish HUFAs and vitamins to help with HLLE. Also, Hannah now makes a reliable phosphate tester. The rest is just repackaged goods with elevated promises and manufacturer claims... best lights on the market, best tanks, etc.

Speaking of those manufacturer claims, they are worse now than they have ever been. Go slow, be smart, ask questions and ignore any seller or retailer advertisements and videos (even Bulk Reef Supply) and you will be set.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new