Back in the hobby after almost a decade out. Building a red sea max 130d.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been collecting a few things here and there for awhile in anticipation of putting together a tank, but i finally got the go ahead to start my build. My wife took me to get a tank the other day as an early christmas present and i picked up a used red sea max 130d for $300. I got the tank upstairs and put it where its gonna go, but thats kind of as far as ive gotten. Working 12 hours a day 6 days a week lately hasnt left me much time to play with it.

I have a LOT of dry rock (probably 200ish pounds) so i have been picking through that a bit trying to decide which pieces to put in it. Once i figure out which onws im gonna use, ill do a bleach soak on them before i put the in with a bit of live rock i have to get them seeded and let things marinate before i turn any lights on. I have decided to go with black sand for this tank.

As for lighting, i havnt quite figured out what im going to do permanently. It came with 2 x 55w pc stock, but i want to retrofit with LEDs since im planning for a mixed reef with sps/lps. I have a gen 3 radion xr30 layind around but no way will it fit in the hood without extensive modifications to the hood. But i have plenty of time to figure out what im gonna do there.

20221207_214753.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How exciting! Congratulations on your new adventure!!!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things seem well thought out. I look forward to following your build. Last year I returned after being out of the hobby for a decade. R2R caught me up quickly to all that has changed.

OP
OP
R

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things seem well thought out. I look forward to following your build. Last year I returned after being out of the hobby for a decade. R2R caught me up quickly to all that has changed.
Thanks. I had reefs for 15 years before my hiatus. I moved to hawaii to study marine bio and aquaculture and then stayed. The available tech has come a looong way since i had a tank last. But the formula for a successful tank hasnt changed. Good light, high quality food, clean water with some available nutrients. There are just sooo many more tools to accomplish it now.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I had reefs for 15 years before my hiatus. I moved to hawaii to study marine bio and aquaculture and then stayed. The available tech has come a looong way since i had a tank last. But the formula for a successful tank hasnt changed. Good light, high quality food, clean water with some available nutrients. There are just sooo many more tools to accomplish it now.
I hear you, I had a reef tank for 16 years. I haven’t completely jumped into all the high tech. Some, but mostly just doing it in the way that made me successful previously. Speaking of changes, cost is a huge change! Also the beautiful live rock we used to have and no *** plugs. Every new coral came on a new piece of live rock adding additional biodiversity. In my new build I continued with live rock.

OP
OP
R

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, I had a reef tank for 16 years. I haven’t completely jumped into all the high tech. Some, but mostly just doing it in the way that made me successful previously. Speaking of changes, cost is a huge change! Also the beautiful live rock we used to have and no *** plugs. Every new coral came on a new piece of live rock adding additional biodiversity. In my new build I continued with live rock.
I hear that. Im not all in on all the tech, i like to get my hands wet so to speak. I do have an auto topoff and temp controller on my list eventually for stability and redundency. Im not a huge fan of frag plugs either. I get why people grow frags on them, they just look so obvious and artificial in a display conpared to gluing in a piece of rubble with a frag on it.b Cost wise, the live rock just isnt feasible any more for me. I do plan to add a little from different sources to seed additional biodiversity. The dry rock will get there. Just takes time and patience. If you take care of the micro flora and fauna, itll take care of your tank.

OP
OP
R

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, ive made a little progress. I ran the tank with a weak citric acid solution for a couple of days, and it did a great job taking off all the residual coraline and deposits. I was finally able to get the rock pressure washed and into a bleach bath. I prepped a lot more than i think ill need so i have more options when im ready to aquascape. Hopefully i can get the pump and all sorted this week while the rock marinates. The tank came with the return pump positioned more than halfway up the chamber so ill likely change that. I did discover the seller included an upgraded return pump, so i have that intalled. I also picked up an inkbird wifi temp contoller.

I also got a pair of onyx picasso clowns that are currently residing in a 10 gallon "QT" tank. Drove 2 hours each way to pick them up from the breeder (bogo sale ftw).

Attachments

• 20221218_182925.jpg
    20221218_182925.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 20221214_172139.jpg
    20221214_172139.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20221218_181501.jpg
    20221218_181501.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 68

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef and best wishes with the tank!
The Redsea 130D as my 1st tank and finally upgraded after almost 9 years.
I still have the LED Retrofit Kit from Steve LED of you are interested in going that route!

OP
OP
R

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef and best wishes with the tank!
The Redsea 130D as my 1st tank and finally upgraded after almost 9 years.
I still have the LED Retrofit Kit from Steve LED of you are interested in going that route!
Actually, i have been eyeing that kit as an upgrade option eventually once funds (and the wife) allow since im definitely gonna want sps eventually. Ive heard good things about the steves led kits.

OP
OP
R

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along with interest. Good luck
Thanks! Not much to see at the moment. I ended up getting the steves led retrofit from Natural_Reefer, so i took apart the hood while im waiting on that to arrive. The rock finished bleaching and spent 2 days in a dechlorinator bath. Refilling the tub with RO and may add more dechlorinator depending on if i can can confirm chlorine free with a test. If not then 2 more days in dechlor, then couple more in RO. Besides that its just making water and feeding the fish. It would be nice to have fish in the tank in a week or two but we shall see how things progress.

dlaird76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Not much to see at the moment. I ended up getting the steves led retrofit from Natural_Reefer, so i took apart the hood while im waiting on that to arrive. The rock finished bleaching and spent 2 days in a dechlorinator bath. Refilling the tub with RO and may add more dechlorinator depending on if i can can confirm chlorine free with a test. If not then 2 more days in dechlor, then couple more in RO. Besides that its just making water and feeding the fish. It would be nice to have fish in the tank in a week or two but we shall see how things progress.
I have a 130D in storage. Replaced the fans, removed the standard skimmer and put in a In Tank media basket and a few other things, changed job so I couldn't set it up. I will do at some point though. Hopefully pick up a few tips and ideas from your set up. Plenty pics please

OP
OP
R

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rusty. How did you get on fitting the Steves LED or were you just swapping over the hoods ?
The LEDs just arrived last night so i havent had time to do anything except test them. I have to install them on the existing hood, but shouldnt be too difficult since theyre already wired. I have the hood dissassembled and everything removed, so next step is to get em installed.

Attachments

• 20221230_190114.jpg
    20221230_190114.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20221228_163017.jpg
    20221228_163017.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 69
  • 20221228_134333.jpg
    20221228_134333.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 58

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back