Back into the hobby after 25 years. Looking for book recommendations.

ScubaSailor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, everyone. I was recently given a 100 gallon tank, and I'm interested in setting up a salt water system. I had a 60 gallon freshwater system for about 5 years, but had to give it up when I went back to school, and my kids were born. No time back then for anything else!

Now, I'm retired, and have all the time in the world. I have a few good books on getting started, but they are all old. Trickle filters are state of the art in my books. I'd like to find a good, modern book to help me get started. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I don't have any book recommendations unfortunately. But there are a couple threads I can recommend reading through

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to the best collection of great aquarium minds on the internet!! Imo, most of the books you will find are older information. Alot has changed in the last few years and by the time books get published the information is outdated. Any questions you need answered are nothing more than a few taps of the keyboard! You can always find people willing to share their knowledge and experience with you on reef to reef!!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Books? Like actual paper with writing on them? They still make those things? lol

Seriously though, I don't think you will find any up to date information in any book. You best bet is to just hang out here, and read a lot of threads.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! We’re glad you’re here!

Clownfish.gif

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, man, I too am retirement age and I can't remember the last time I cracked open a book. Information comes and goes really quickly these days and to even have a chance of staying on top of it, you need to go through the internet.

I don't like it either but what are ya gonna do?

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.

Since you have time , start a thread asking about the pros and cons of quarantining fish, sit back and enjoy the show :) just kidding

Since is a been a while for you, read some of the NO3 and PO4 dosing threads in the Reef Chemistry forums. I think you will enjoy the paradigm shift in that filtration and export methods have gotten so efficient that we are now dosing these things back into our tanks.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back