Back to Halides for the Winter Anyone Else

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both LED systems and MH/T-5 for my 120. I tend to go back and forth between the two depending on my mood and willingness to run a chiller and pay a high utility bill. Today I put my halides/t5 package and chiller back in service. Does anyone else do this as the seasons change?

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1448157660.089356.jpg

gcrance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert but seems like it would be stressful on the live stock to switch lighting so suddenly without a reaclimation period. Even if the overall coverage and par is close the difference between broad reflection and focused optics seems like it would be extreme.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had halide in a long time, but I should be getting a 2x 250w mh + 4x39w t5 next week. If heat is going to be a problem during the summer then I will be switching back to 6x39w t5.

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat has been an issue and I had to put my chiller back inline. Also, topoff has increased, causing a ph rise (topoff goes through kalk reactor). I may switch back this week. Also, watching the amp draw on my apex power bars, I've gone from 3 amps total during the day to around 11 amps. Now I'm remembering the reasons for switching to LED in the first place!

TNT32D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO and experience nothing yet can replace MH. I was thinking of putting a Hamilton Bimini on my 25 gal cube. Lol

Reefbrite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for amp draw it depends on the ballasts you are running. For example a good quality solid state ballast will draw a lot less power than the older style magnetic units. A newer style 250 watt ballast will draw an average of 2.1 amps. As for heat, again the style fixture you run has a lot to do with it. I run halides all year long with out a chiller and have no issues what so ever. I do run a low voltage fan that is hooked up to my Apex that will come on when temps exceed 79 degrees that manages tank temps just fine.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to run dual MH on my build. It is in the basement and I could probably use the added best put off by them. I just never got sold on the LED lights yet. I ran a trio of Kessil over the tank before the move too

Reefbrite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to beat the growth you get with halides. I am not saying you cannot grow corals with LED's but with such a variety of fixtures on the market some produce much better results than others. With halides depending on the ballasts used and the quality of the fixture assembly, the performance of the technology itself is pretty consistent and proven throughout the years to produce great results.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back