Back to Reefing - 56 Tall

PunkgambitPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After almost 10 years I decided to get back in the hobby. I had the 56 tank stored all this time. Is gonna be a slow built but I hope to fill the tank soon.

I started buying some of the equipment, there is little I can use from my old one.

P_20201008_114544.jpg
P_20201008_114516.jpg
P_20201008_114632.jpg

I'm reusing the rocks and sand from the old build.

I'm building a 20L sump/refugium. For the overflow I'm going with a Tom's RP3 I have available. It have an integrated return on the overflow, plus syphon restart in case I need to turn the pump off. Since return line is on the right and the output on the left my sump is going to be reversed from the normal. Sump inlet will be on the right and return pump on the left.

P_20201012_172624.jpg

OP
OP
PunkgambitPR

PunkgambitPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer arrive yesterday so Today I finish installing the baffles to the 20g sump/fuge. I'll let the silicone dry a few days and test for section leaks. I use Jax Racks baffle kit, great quality and fitment.

P_20201024_101232.jpg
P_20201024_101204.jpg

16035494239616555083635087512510.jpg

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to reefin! I was gone too for about 6 and also have a smaller tank so following along!
Love the old school look with that fine sand! I really think smaller sand particles allows for such a rich pod diversity, I used to mix oolitic with larger grades to get a nice mix.
couple questions: have you rinsed or vinegar/acid washed any of that old material? It may leach some things so maybe watch out for that
what you planning to stock With?

thanks for posting!

OP
OP
PunkgambitPR

PunkgambitPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to reefin! I was gone too for about 6 and also have a smaller tank so following along!
Love the old school look with that fine sand! I really think smaller sand particles allows for such a rich pod diversity, I used to mix oolitic with larger grades to get a nice mix.
couple questions: have you rinsed or vinegar/acid washed any of that old material? It may leach some things so maybe watch out for that
what you planning to stock With?

thanks for posting!

I cleaned and rinse everything, some part have been in storage for almost 10 years, after running for about 7, the front of the overflow still have the marks from the water level. other than the overflow the only other old equipment is my chiller, but that was only use like for 3 months. My house is currently running on solar power, and 10 years old pumps aren't that efficient, my only concern is the chiller temps in the room are staying pretty good, and ones i finish a garage i have under construction the wall that faces the sun in the morning gonna be covered, so temps should go down a little in the room.

The rocks and sand was cleaned, rinse and sun dried a few times, so I hope no problems come from them.

Regarding what's going on the tank. For the first few months only fish until I get back in the rhythm, I don't believe ill go to crazy with corals for some time, I'm taking the newbie approach, learning everything again and that mean beginners fish and coral, ill probably break that rule after the first month after cycling...but ill try to take it easy.

Back