Back to the hobby 75 gallon build.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im putting in an order this weekend for trace elements including manganese and vanadium. I’m probably going to dose light. I’m kinda of the mindset for trace elements

dosing a little>not dosing>dosing too much

I read about Julian’s manganese substrate today and it is supposed to be a self replenishing slow release healthy supply. Considering taking the sand out of my fuge and replacing with that. Do you have experience/thoughts about that approach rather than liquid dosing?
No I’ve only done liquid dosing sorry. Interesting method you have though.

OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disaster on the reef! I had a bacteria bloom that lasted for 4 days. During this time I did lose one coral... my BC purple ghost. I honestly think that was due to something other than the bloom though. In my experience it takes SPS about 2 weeks to show signs of stress so I think of it as looking at the coral today is looking at my tank parameters a couple weeks ago. Around that time I was making an adjustment dose for alk when dialing it in and I put a little too much in too quickly. It wasn't more than 1dKH per day, but close. I feel like that was the cause of it's demise. Ever since then I set my alk to 90mL/day being dosed what seems like every 10 minutes spread out through the day staying stable around 7.7dKH. Calcium has been steady at 425 dosing 60mL/day (using BRS 2 part). Everything looks happy again and I'm noticing encrusting on more of the sticks. Well... big fail number one in the books. I should have taken it way slower with getting the alk to the level I wanted.

In memory of the fallen coral, I ordered a Battle box today from Battlecorals. Will be here tomorrow for the service. That coral cannot be replaced, but we will do what we can to honor it

Side note, my girlfriend just told me today after I told her I accidentally ordered more coral that she doesn't care... she likes it! I had a feeling she would catch the bug once the tank started filling in and maturing a little. All she asks is that I leave a space for an aussie gold torch she had her eye on in a LFS. It was by far the goldest color all the way through with baby blue tips and looked amazing but was already sold and waiting. We are going to talk to them about getting another one in. Anyway... I took that deal... obviously :p

OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battle box is here. Going to add them soon. I asked for minimal blue and green and want more bright colors because I have a lot of blue and green already. Picked a 6 piece pack and got 8. Adam delivered the goods and listened to my requests. :D

IMG_2304.jpeg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back