Back to the hobby 75 gallon build.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great! We have fairly similar builds! Mines a sps dominate 70g rimless.

some of those colonies look pretty big! Have seen alk/cal consumption yet?

OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! We have fairly similar builds! Mines a sps dominate 70g rimless.

some of those colonies look pretty big! Have seen alk/cal consumption yet?

I have seen a drop of around .8 dkh/day and calcium about 20ppm/day. I’m dosing 60mL of soda ash and 45mL of calcium/day and that’s keeping it pretty stable. Still getting it dialed in closer but testing every morning at 7:30am to track trends and make any small adjustments. Then I’ll probably test alk twice a week, calcium weekly, mag every other week. Phosphate and nitrate being tested twice a week.

OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a delivery! I’m going to use the polyp booster and feed right as the lights are coming on so the SPS is already in feeding mode. Thinking 2x a week. I have never used this product before so open to any suggestions anyone has where they have found the best success!

48441663-1FFA-4A3F-8011-8AFAE88CE91E.jpeg

Also, a nice delivery is coming on Tuesday. One nice thing will be a Hanna dkh checker. The Red Sea is too much guessing for me. I’ll use that as a backup if the Hanna reads something that seems off. Alk is way too important to monitor by trying to figure out what shade of green I stopped at after blue but before it goes yellow. Went shopping at TSA too so a “couple” more coral are coming :p

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a delivery! I’m going to use the polyp booster and feed right as the lights are coming on so the SPS is already in feeding mode. Thinking 2x a week. I have never used this product before so open to any suggestions anyone has where they have found the best success!

48441663-1FFA-4A3F-8011-8AFAE88CE91E.jpeg

Also, a nice delivery is coming on Tuesday. One nice thing will be a Hanna dkh checker. The Red Sea is too much guessing for me. I’ll use that as a backup if the Hanna reads something that seems off. Alk is way too important to monitor by trying to figure out what shade of green I stopped at after blue but before it goes yellow. Went shopping at TSA too so a “couple” more coral are coming :p
Your corals will love the Reef Roids!

OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order from TSA just arrived. First impression I am happy with the packaging. Everything is tight with no bags that aren’t firm. Now onto the task of inspecting under magnification and dipping. From the videos I’ve watched of unboxing from here everything seems pretty clean. One reason I went through them.

0A56A343-E0BC-4F53-814C-A4B9D9026126.jpeg

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order from TSA just arrived. First impression I am happy with the packaging. Everything is tight with no bags that aren’t firm. Now onto the task of inspecting under magnification and dipping. From the videos I’ve watched of unboxing from here everything seems pretty clean. One reason I went through them.

0A56A343-E0BC-4F53-814C-A4B9D9026126.jpeg
;););)
Pay Me Kim Kardashian GIF by GQ

OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All coral were dipped and inspected and the only thing I found was some algae on the frag plug. The coral came in looking good. I would definitely go through TSA again.

I had to go out for the evening but came back and saw the tank ramping down and took a few shots of a couple of my favorites. Not the best shots but eh... I'll spend more time on it soon. I need to take pics and name them to keep track.

First... all my tanks have to have a Ponape birdsnest. It is by far my favorite Seriatopora coral

DSC_0122.jpg

TSA Nuclear Fusion Monti Cap

This one I was a little concerned because it was WYSIWYG and the red was a dot right in the middle. I was planning when I got it I would have to cut it in half to try and save the red. When I got it the frag was about twice as big as the picture on their site and had red streaks through the new growth so I didn't have to do surgery. I'll have to try and get a top down of this one.

DSC_0121.jpg

And now... my favorite in the tank looking at it tonight. Paletta pink tip.

This thing GLOWS! The florescent green going to purple tips with the same florescent green polyps... This is an absolutely amazing coral and the picture doesn't do it justice (and a little out of focus)

DSC_0120-2.jpg

The fight continues...

The objective:

don't let the algae win

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming soon (tomorrow) to a reef tank near me :p

clam pic is not super clear but is WYSIWYG and I love the fade from blue to purple

E75C4A81-838B-4CFE-A274-AD5F3856EBA6.jpeg

Rainbow Goni. I haven’t tried Goni in about 10 years but this was too good looking to pass up. I have a good spot in the tank for it

AC1BE0B1-A8AD-474B-88BD-30FF160B4F0F.jpeg

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rainbow Goni. I haven’t tried Goni in about 10 years but this was too good looking to pass up. I have a good spot in the tank for it
Gonis are one of the best. Have a soft spot for all flowerpots

OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis are one of the best. Have a soft spot for all flowerpots

I love the way they look and move. The last time I had one it didn’t show up in good condition and didn’t make it past a month. Hoping for better luck this time. I have a very different approach to reefing and tank maintenance/husbandry than I did 10 years ago. Fingers crossed! This one looks absolutely beautiful

OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This project is wild, great thread.

Thanks! Pushing the boundaries a bit but so far so good. Coral are encrusting and showing signs of growth. The nem is happy and looks like it’s going to split soon. Keeping the tank very well fed 4-5x a day with a good variety and good nutrient export I’ve been watching closely and making small adjustments as needed. I’m trying to pass the ugly stage as much as possible

Not gonna lie.. it has been stressful at times and I can’t wait to just sit back and not worry too much. If all goes as planned though I’ll have a good head start on the tank filling in with coral growth.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a couple things today to put in one of the observation tanks. A couple of clowns that will be named Yin and Yang, a rainbow BTA. Some birdsnest and stags. I have to go back tomorrow because I forgot a frag there. I have a better power head coming tomorrow for this tank. Right now it has an old MJ I had laying around. I will be very closely monitoring ammonia and doing water changes as needed.

E025F1FB-E1C9-4857-B528-C09E47B2A214.jpeg
739F4A78-3D16-4EB1-B3F3-80F6C0682418.jpeg
I like the clowns! Very different.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the way they look and move. The last time I had one it didn’t show up in good condition and didn’t make it past a month. Hoping for better luck this time. I have a very different approach to reefing and tank maintenance/husbandry than I did 10 years ago. Fingers crossed! This one looks absolutely beautiful
Something that may help you is the phytoplankton dosing but also manganese. Gonis LOVE manganese

OP
OP
Salt Creep

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that may help you is the phytoplankton dosing but also manganese. Gonis LOVE manganese

Im putting in an order this weekend for trace elements including manganese and vanadium. I’m probably going to dose light. I’m kinda of the mindset for trace elements

dosing a little>not dosing>dosing too much

I read about Julian’s manganese substrate today and it is supposed to be a self replenishing slow release healthy supply. Considering taking the sand out of my fuge and replacing with that. Do you have experience/thoughts about that approach rather than liquid dosing?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back