Back up Battery recommendations.

Peacocksm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ad I learned the hard way, my back up battery only lasted about 10 mins. I know the battery should only run the minimum required equipment. What is the must have to have running on the back up. I know the heater is a must. What do you run in case of a power outage.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater is not always must. It is a huge energy hog. Much better to heat some other way, if possible, such as a fireplace. Or let the temp drop quite a bit before enacting it and maybe not having much time left for the truly critical: water flow.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 72Ah battery on a 2K inverter for my 60g tank, just in case. But being in the UK the last time I had a power outage for more than a few hours was in the 80s. #smugface

TMN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 72Ah battery on a 2K inverter for my 60g tank, just in case. But being in the UK the last time I had a power outage for more than a few hours was in the 80s. #smugface
Garf, How do you have the battery and inverter connected to the tank? Is it somehow inline where if the power goes out the backup would seamlessly supply power needed?
I just had a couple days last week where there were multiple short outages, less than a second each but enough to reset my ATI Sunpower T5 fixture and for some reason my return pump doesn't start up until I take it out of the water then it kicks on...return pump is freshly cleaned and still does this.
These two issues are making me search for a solution, in case I am not home to remedy. Thanks

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a small 15watt Jebao pump on the lowest constant setting backed up by the Coral Box Battery extender which will last for at least, 4 days.

It the only thing I run when power is out.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garf, How do you have the battery and inverter connected to the tank? Is it somehow inline where if the power goes out the backup would seamlessly supply power needed?
I just had a couple days last week where there were multiple short outages, less than a second each but enough to reset my ATI Sunpower T5 fixture and for some reason my return pump doesn't start up until I take it out of the water then it kicks on...return pump is freshly cleaned and still does this.
These two issues are making me search for a solution, in case I am not home to remedy. Thanks
Get yourself a 900watt computer UPS ->

TMN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a small 15watt Jebao pump on the lowest constant setting backed up by the Coral Box Battery extender which will last for at least, 4 days.

Thanks. I like the simplicity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's how mine was set up, but I used huge industrial vehicle batteries (2 x D8) to give a long lasting circulation (many days, if needed). It has far more power than any normal home UPS.

Last edited:

TMN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Get yourself a 900watt computer UPS ->

Thanks Mical. I will have to do some spec and price comparisons to Uncle99's Coral Box suggestion. I would prefer if the tank was as close to fully operational as possible in the event of an outage. That being said the 900watt computer backup seems ideal. I still need to do more research. Glad to hear your solutions, they help tremendously in understanding what is out there and how to isolate the bare necessities for the tank's health in an outage.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mical. I will have to do some spec and price comparisons to Uncle99's Coral Box suggestion. I would prefer if the tank was as close to fully operational as possible in the event of an outage. That being said the 900watt computer backup seems ideal. I still need to do more research. Glad to hear your solutions, they help tremendously in understanding what is out there and how to isolate the bare necessities for the tank's health in an outage.
Depending on your gear and/or what you need as a min re: equipment - I've had these run for 6+ hours running the mp10s, and a return pump.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back